Add Product

Search Results:

Re: Can't get parts for HP dv3510nr...so much for Blue Label support

Look...I know you guys believe in what you are selling, but what I see here...is just the tip of the ice berg.  I see people with computer problems at just about every tech site I go to and I see people who have service problems with their computers at almost every tech site I go to.  So...it is not the Geek Squad who is the problem...your company is just taking advantage of a niche.  The problem is the whole concept of selling something to unknowledgeable users and then jacking them up when they get into trouble.  The very first pc I ever bought, back when I knew absolutely nothing about a pc, well...I hosed it the first week.  I did it...myself...but I didn't have the bucks to get help...I had to figure it out.  That's how I ended up knowing what I know now.  When I try to teach people to work with the ERP software that I work with and they are scared to death...I tell each and every one the same thing:  "Do you know why kids are so good at computers?  It's because they aren't afraid".  That is really what holds most people back.  They think that a pc is some magical, mysterious, thing that requires someone with a phd to work on it.  Well...it's just not.  I am sorry if you Geek Squad folks disagree with me and I ruffle your feathers.  But my heart is more with the folks who need help and I am not here to steer them to something they may not need if they just picked up the ball and run with it.

you kind of just proved yourself wrong by saying "does someone really need to pay $300 more" the reason it is going to cost you to get a new screen or whatever for your laptop is because you did not buy the geek squad black tie protection that covers accidental damage. The manufacturer does not cover physical damage to the laptop, they just cover parts and labor. Because you did not buy the GSBTP, you are really either going to have to pay to get it fixed, or buy a new laptop. Just because the blue label laptops have longer manufacturer warranties than others, that does not mean you can have anything go wrong with the computer and get it fixed. like i said without that geek squad black tie protection a cracked or "dinged" screen is not going to be fixed by the geek squad or the manufacturer.

I understand what you are saying but let's be realistic here.  Accidents do, inevitably happen.  If you are a klutz...by all means buy that extra protection.  When I look at the statistics from my own experiences...I have owned 6 laptops.  Guess how many screens I have ever had replaced...none.  Guess how many dead pixels I have had...three and on just one machine and it was two years old and took a bad bump when those appeared.  Statistics are driving my answers.  Not anything else.  If you are buying a laptop for a 16 year old...buy that service.  If you are buying it for your office and you know that it will not be in a lot of danger...it's just not worth it.  That is ALL I am saying...weigh your own situation and make your decision.  If you don't want to pony up for the service and you can't live with some dead pixels, then think about a desktop with a monitor that is a little sturdier.  Inform your customers!  You can't just say that every single person SHOULD buy that Black Tie Service!  I recently had to make a decision of my own.  My space bar broke.  I had to have a computer for work the following Monday.  The laptop was out of warranty.  Of course, I could have paid the manufacturer to fix it for me because they wouldn't sell me the keyboard...they had to jack me up...er...fix it.  I went out to that auction website that I cannot mention here and found two candidates for a keyboard which were on laptops that the hard drives didn't work.  They each wanted in excess of $300 for a broken laptop!  I went and paid $799 for the laptop I wanted, fixed the broken space bar with epoxy three weeks later and gave it to my son.  That is what made sense for me!  If it makes sense...do it! 

I wish that were true. There are few Geeks in this local store who can actually make factual, true statements.

I took the screen out and have finally found one one month later. $220 from the distributor. It is still unavailable from either BB or HP.

If anybody is inclined to do this fix yourself, it's actually pretty easy. There are online instructions. The manufacturer's model number and resolution (1280 X 800 in this case) need to be crosschecked to make sure you are getting the right part.  It  takes maybe  half an hour to do.

The Geeks couldn't do it, couldn't even get the parts.

Recognized Member

laney im sorry not everyone knows how to fix computers. i can bet at least one of your family members doesn't know how to fix a computer, or a car, even if you throw a Do it yourself in front of their face.

if you know how to fix the computers, great, then geek squad is not for you. geek squad is there for those who doesn't know how to fix computers, or doesn't have time to fix a computer.

Look, u_hsen, I am not complaining about the Geek Squad, I am protecting myself against their holier-than-thou attitude and trying to get some folks to pick this concept up and save themselves some money!  My sole interest in Geek Squad's prices, services, etc., is that there are a lot of folks out there over a barrel by Geek Squad's prices when some of these folks can and should learn.  I can guarantee you that it is worth while to learn...those who have a desire, should very much so go for it!  I am sorry that everybody thinks I am such a threat that they just keep attacking me!  I WILL defend myself though.  Just as Geek Squad believes in what they are doing, I also believe in helping people by trying to convince a handful to help themselves.