Add Product

Search Results:

Can't get parts for HP dv3510nr...so much for Blue Label support

One of my co-workers dinged the screen on my HP dv3510nr.

HP doesn't have parts and Geeks can't get them either. One of them told me $900 for a new screen if they could ever get one..

Brilliant.

Contributor

Re: Can't get parts for HP dv3510nr...so much for Blue Label support

Did you have the service plan on the laptop?

The one that covers accidental damage?

No, not on this one.

Does a customer need to pay $300 more for the item so it can be swapped out?

If this is there special in house "Blue Label"  model, why can't you get parts for it? HP does not support it with parts and neither does BB.

Contributor

@jacjetlag wrote:

No, not on this one.

Does a customer need to pay $300 more for the item so it can be swapped out?

If this is there special in house "Blue Label"  model, why can't you get parts for it? HP does not support it with parts and neither does BB.

Probably would have helped you out now, eh?

There is no in house special, best buy might get specific computers from HP that no one else will carrey, but all the parts will be coming from HP.

Typically if HP does not support it with parts, it was a bad egg, and they don't want to deal with its problems.

Are you still under their warrenty?  Have them get you a different one.

Recognized Member

if you check on any online store website, a laptop screen can easily cause from 900-1200. that's why usually without any protections, you might as well go buy a new laptop. but rather paying for $600-700 for a new laptop, u can just pay $300 for their protection and get part replaced without paying a grand.

now u have to get a new laptop. btw manufacture doesn't cover screen damage.

they probably don't have the screen yet because dv3510 is Best Buy exclusive. they just came out not too long ago so probably u gotta wait awhile.

You are probably going to do your best buying laptop coverage from, say, whoever you got your homeowners insurance from or someone like that.  BUT...at the price of laptops these days, weigh your options.  A new screen will, indeed, cost more than the laptop probably.  As far as service plans go...I never buy them for anything less than five hundred dollars and never for anything that I can fix myself.  Not on cell phones, not on computer parts, etc.  The reason is simply that it adds to the cost of your product.  You can't say you paid six hundred dollars for your laptop if you bought an additional service warranty to cover it for $200 bucks.  Laptops are the only things in the computer world that you cannot neccessarily work on yourself...you just cannot get the parts.  They are almost like a throw away item.  I guess the biggest reason is that they are usually configured into a specific platform...the case is usually the driving factor.  Look at how many varieties there are.  You just can't open a laptop and replace everything.  The screen is going to be exclusive to that particular model of laptop.  Not much demand for them because they are so expensive to replace and models fall out of the limelight quickly.  You have to go through the manufacturer and hope that their supplier still makes that model for them.  So, if it's not a bad ding...you may have to live with it.  You could always make your co-worker pony up for damage...good luck.
Highlighted

Another possibility just came to mind.  If this is your personal laptop, check your homeowners insurance.  My daughter had her laptop stolen and her homeowners covered it.  They may have a clause or something disallowing your laptop but it is only a phone call to find out.
Recognized Member

the dv3510nr is $999, not everyone can fix their own laptop. to some people taht $249 (2 years) or $300 (3 years) is worth it. it guarantees them wont' have to buy another computer within 3 years.

I got three years of warranty with my laptop for $99 from Acer.  That is a far cry from $200 to $300.  The key for me is that there is an Acer repair site close by or I wouldn't have even ponied up the $99.  Depends on how you use your laptop.  If you can't do without it for two to three weeks, what are you going to do?  I pass off the old one after it is fixed because I would need one to work before it could be fixed so I end up buying a new one (fortunately for me that isn't often).  My last one had the space key break and that is a pretty important key.  I ended up fixing the key myself and gave it to my son.  I bought a new one because I HAD to have it to work.  Like I said previously, laptops are not something that you can always work on yourself so you are pretty much over a barrel if something goes wrong and you use it for work.  I deal with it in the best manner for me.  Others have to make their own choice.  It is the "being part of a herd" that prevents me from buying into the Service Warranty thing like Best Buy sells.  And...from the looks of the comments on this site, I am dead on.
Recognized Member

only rarely that people have issues with best buy's geek squad. imagine there are millions of customers in a day that shops with best buy, only what..... a hundred of them have problems and are telling their stories on here. that's what? less than .0001% complaints.

i have worked in my store for more than a year now. we only see the kind of customers u see in this forum like once a month.

you can trust geek squad with their protection plans.