Add Product

Search Results:

Topics: 1,902
Kudos: 972
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 356

Can I ask something about a Chromebook

I see them go on sale all the time on Best Buy and was wondering if it was right for me. I am tired of Windows Updates being forced on me and hindering the performance of my laptop. I'm getting to the point at my age where all I care about is using Google Chrome, checking email, using YouTube and playing games either on Facebook through their game center or playing games on Arkadium which is HTML5 based. 

Is this laptop a good choice for me to switch to? Can I plug in an external hard drive to view files I've backed up personally? Google integration looks attractive and so forth. I don't want to game on a laptop since I now have my Switch and also have my 2DS plus XBOX One S and content with it. 

Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Can I ask something about a Chromebook

It should work fine, newer Chromebooks also have access to the app store.

Disadvantages.
Often have a non standard keyboard without a caps lock key even
They still get constant updates, for around 5 years then give you reminders that you need a new Chromebook because it's now to old for updates

Another option is to install "cloud ready" in a windows machine. Just requires a USB stick. Cloud books work great for this
Trusted Contributor

I sent you a pm with cloud ready. It's actually part of Google so you get official chrome os.

Yeah chromebooks are a new type of computer technology to get thing done faster. Chrome OS, an operating system that has cloud storage, the best of Google built in, and multiple layers of security. I Hope now you understand. 

Topics: 1,902
Kudos: 972
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 356

@nckhammond wrote:
I sent you a pm with cloud ready. It's actually part of Google so you get official chrome os.

I ended up going with Linux Mint which is like a Windows OS - It was relatively easy to install. I had Libre Office and Firefox right out of the box and I don't need anything more. Youtube and other sites work flawlessly and I only had 9 GB installed to the hard drive compared to 25 gigabytes when Windows 10 was installed. Even includes cool wallpapers, one of the backgrounds was an image of the Golden Gate Bridge at night. 

Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.