Add Product

Search Results:

Best New Desktop

I am looking at buying a new desktop. Main uses, music, photo editing, netflix, internet, college.......Any suggestions what brand to go with? How much memory RAM  Hard drive needed, AMD or Intel?

Thank you,

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Best New Desktop

For the needs you listed, the processor is not critical; either AMD or Intel will serve well.  RAM; you should get as much as your budget can afford.  All of the name brands are fairly equivalent build quality wise...there is no brand that is "better" than the others.  For sake of upgradability, I would stay away from the small form factor models, and would go with a mid- or full-tower model.  Hard drive is also not critical; adding a 2TB external drive for storage and backup can be done for under $100.  Best deals are with processors that are one or two steps down from the top of the line models, and for your stated requirements you do not need a top of the line model.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

Same old. Same old.  Whenever a customer asks what to buy, the standard "expert" answer is "oh, just buy anything."  Not only is this answer a non-answer, it insults the intelligence of the poster that made the inquiry.  This customer is asking which desktop should be purchased that is not a gaming computer.  No specific budget is mentioned.  I feel that if a customer does not indicate a budget, then the purchase price is not important.  The sandy bridge recall has had a devastating impact on the desktop computer world.  As a result, the quality of desktop computers is in decline.  Nonetheless, the top 5 non-gaming desktop computer models sold at Best Buy are as follows:

1. Gateway FX6840-15e SKU 1401118

2. HP HPE-570F  SKU 1805571

3. HP HPE-235F  SKU 9980786

4. HP HPE-410Y  SKU 1243773

5. HP HPE-500Y  SKU 1757131

If I had to choose between buying any $500 computer model or buying no computer at all,  I would rather purchase no computer at all. Those cheap computers are truly junk.

Valued Contributor

@PCHOBBYIST wrote:

Same old. Same old.  Whenever a customer asks what to buy, the standard "expert" answer is "oh, just buy anything."  Not only is this answer a non-answer, it insults the intelligence of the poster that made the inquiry.  This customer is asking which desktop should be purchased that is not a gaming computer.  No specific budget is mentioned.  I feel that if a customer does not indicate a budget, then the purchase price is not important.  The sandy bridge recall has had a devastating impact on the desktop computer world.  As a result, the quality of desktop computers is in decline.  Nonetheless, the top 5 non-gaming desktop computer models sold at Best Buy are as follows:

If I had to choose between buying any $500 computer model or buying no computer at all,  I would rather purchase no computer at all. Those cheap computers are truly junk.

Thanks for enlightening us all with your awesome computer knowledge. You're about a month late and chances are the OP has already purchased a computer but hey, you're still cool in my book. Smiley Wink

Community Veteran

@PCHOBBYIST wrote:

This has been voted the worst answer ever.

Valued Contributor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same old. Same old.  Whenever a customer asks what to buy, the standard "expert" answer is "oh, just buy anything."  Not only is this answer a non-answer, it insults the intelligence of the poster that made the inquiry. 

So, You expect those who answer to hand hold the OPs and tell them exactly which model to buy every time?

By the way, sometimes "oh, just buy anything" is an appropriate answer. 

This customer is asking which desktop should be purchased that is not a gaming computer.  No specific budget is mentioned.  I feel that if a customer does not indicate a budget, then the purchase price is not important. 

You shoudn't assume that.  It is an easy matter to simply as the OP what their budget for anew computer is...

The sandy bridge recall has had a devastating impact on the desktop computer world. 

It most certainly has not devasted it as far as I can see.  Perhaps you can provide citations that back up your ridiculous claim...

As a result, the quality of desktop computers is in decline.

To this absurd, ludicrous, and absolutely idiotic claim, I demand that you provide even the tiniest shred of proof to back up your silly claim...

Nonetheless, the top 5 non-gaming desktop computer models sold at Best Buy are as follows:

And who made that determination....you? You have already proved beyond a shadow of a doubt with this one post that you really have no idea what you are talking about.  You have no credibility, yet you seem to think that you can not only recommend the *EXACT* computer for the OP, but proclaim those models you listed as the "best" non-gaming PCs available in Best Buy.  What was your criteria?  What metric did you use to analyze them?  What makes them "the best"?  Since you are making such wild claims, perhaps you can provide us with the specific data that you arrived at in testing each and every one of the models listed, along with the data from all the other computers that Best Buy sells.  Since you made the claim, you must have knowledge of each and every model sold. I'd be interested in your testin methodology as well as your quality assurance and fairness in testing.  Please provide all the documentation you have created so far....oh, wait...there isn't any, is there? 

And if I had asked the question, and had to choose between your anser and no answer at all, I'd take the no answer at all....because in the light of even modest scrutiny, your answer is "truly junk".

I, too, vote for this as the worst answer I have seen...

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Trusted Contributor

@PCHOBBYIST wrote:

No, it is not whenever a customer asks what to buy.  It is when a customer asks what to buy and then states requirements that can indeed be met by any new machine on the market.  Thus it is not possible to provide specific recommendations unless the customer provides additional selection criteria (budget, additional application requirements not initially mentioned).

For example, whenever a customer specifies a need for games or CAD, we usually provide narrower recommendations.

Other people did a good job of addressing your other unfounded claims already so I won't bother with those.

Also, as far as the Sandy Bridge recall - At least 3/4 of the systems shipped, if not more, had a single optical drive and a single hard drive and thus those customers can happily keep using the system until fixed silicon arrives and replacement motherboards are offered by the computer manufacturer.  The flaw won't affect any systems that have no drives connected to the chipset SATA2 ports, the two chipset SATA3 ports are fully functional with no flaw.  It has not by any means destroyed the desktop market, other than the fact that probably a lot of people are waiting for Sandy Bridge products to become available again rather than buy an older system.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

I asked several people about these comments in response to my post.  None of the responses address the technical merits of the issue at hand.  The comments are full of hostility and name calling that call into question my personal character.  I don't engage in this type of behavior myself as it lacks class.  I have been advised to apply an old cliche, and stop "casting pearls before swine."  As a result, I will conclude my participation in this forum with this post.  When I joined, I was looking forward to a discussion of computer technology with Best Buy customers from across this country, but what I found is that this forum consists of a clique consisting of "community veterans" that strictly defends Best Buy's corporate policy's and opposition to that point of view is not tolerated.  How disappointing. Take care.

Kudos: 106
Solutions: 97

Do you honestly feel you are correct in recommending a $1,000+ computer to a college kid that wants to listen to music, watch Netflix, and edit some photos?
Price is always important. If the customer didn't care about money, they would just have gotten the most expensive computer offered since they wouldn't have to waste their time (which is more valuable at that point).

If I want to buy a car that is comfortable, has some power but mainly is there to get me from point a to point b, you could recommend me a Lexus LFA since it does meet the requirements... but its just an easy answer.
OBVIOUSLY if you have unlimited funds, a $1,000 computer is better than a $600 computer. But if you have unlimited funds, you wouldn't post here asking which one to get. That is why your posts are getting flamed. It has nothing to do with "community veterans" defending some corporate policy and everything to do with community veterans refuting poorly though out answers.
-
I am not a Best Buy / Geek Squad employee. All comments and opinions are my own.
Community Veteran

@PCHOBBYIST wrote:

casting pearls before swine.

@PCHOBBYIST wrote:

When did you give out the pearls?