Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

Best Buy claims an Apple employee came and opened all their units to update for iLife '11

I'm helping my sister (remotely; in another state) buy a MacBook Pro 13". She went to Best Buy and the Best Buy salesman told her that an Apple employee came into their store and opened all of their existing units in the cage with iLife '11. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I just want to make sure she didn't just purchase a used laptop. It would be easy for them to claim it was opened because of the update when its actually an open-box return. I asked her to examine the laptop for signs of use - she claims it was still sealed in its plastic bag and that all of the accessories, etc.. were unused.   Which also begs the question, how was it updated if the bag around the laptop inside the box was sealed?

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I would think Apple would just have you use their Up-to-Date program instead of sending around people to update laptops at retailers.

I'm very concerned!  Anyone know for sure Apple employees are going around across the country store by store opening boxes when they have a program in place (Up-to-date) to send you a disc instead??

Contributor

Re: Best Buy claims an Apple employee came and opened all their units to update for iLife '11

At my store we have an apple employee that does open the laptops but reseals everything.  The laptops have plastic seals that aren't broken in the process, only the box seal is broken, which is reapplied.  This is to make sure the customers get the latest software free of charge.

Re: Best Buy claims an Apple employee came and opened all their units to update for iLife '11

I guess that it what happened.  Booted up the machine and there was no evidence it'd ever been booted before.  Also, iLife '09 was still installed so it was NOT updated as the sales rep said (which is preferable).  However, an iLife '11 "drop in disc" was inside the box.  I'm assuming it was simply opened to insert this disc and wasn't actually powered on and updated (which is good).  Thanks!

Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

I don't work in the stores, I work online, so this is just mere conjucture - but that makes sense! Imagine how much time it would take to power on each unit, update the software, and then seal everything back up. The Apple guy would be there forever!

Seriously, have you ever had to update iTunes? Blech.

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox
Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

Who uses iTunes? Smiley Tongue jk.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Topics: 5
Kudos: 21
Solutions: 232

Are you kidding?  iTunes is my jukebox, lol.  While there are a lot of people who don't like iTunes, I find it to be an awesome program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I DO NOT work for Best Buy. I used to be a Geek Squad Agent for 2 years and this is why I am well versed on their policies and procedures, but I do not work for them anymore. My posts are my own opinions and do not represent any opinions of Best Buy. If you do not like my posts, and want to report me, you can do so by clicking this link and reporting me to the moderators.
---Nearly all virus infections are a result of a problem between chair and keyboard---
Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

You have to admit it could stand to loose quit a bit of memory/resource bloat and be redesigned to be far more intuitive. 

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox