Add Product

Search Results:

BSoD during boot up

I recently updated my nvidia video drivers and when I restarted my computer I now get the BSoD right before I see my login screen.  So, the first thing I thought to do was to rollback the driver.  However, I can't boot up on Safe Mode.

This is what my computer is doing:

1. Computer on, initial boot screen comes up

2. Options for Safe Mode or Start Windows normally

a.  I am unable to choose Safe Mode because my computer is not responding.  This can't be normal.

3. It starts up normally, because I can't choose otherwise.

4. I see the Windows XP logo

5. BSoD

6. Computer reboots.

For whatever reason, my keyboard shuts off for the options to change to safe mode.  It shuts off if I want to change my boot sequence.  It even shuts off if I want to boot from the CD so I can use my recover disk.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Topics: 1,113
Kudos: 752
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: BSoD during boot up

On some computers with integrated video chips, its been my experience that updating the chipset drivers might not be a good idea since those drivers are custom for the OEM.

There is a way around this using the repair console found from booting from the Windows XP installation disc, but it requires a little bit of high user level expertise to work with that.

You might have to take it in for data backup and a reinstall of the OS if you cant get it running Smiley Sad

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***