Add Product

Search Results:

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

Re: Atheros Wireless Adapter

Lol fair point. I worked in store, and if someone told me why they were doing it, I surely would not have an issue, but I see your point.

Did you have any models in mind?

I did some quick Googling and it sounds like you can upgrade/change out the wireless chipset in most laptops to one that you prefer for about $30, there is that option.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

The problem is I dont know how strong the range would be with those 30 dollar chipsets...

PCG-7184L is the model number of the laptop I had

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SONY-VAIO-PCG-7184L-15-LAPTOP-320GB-INTEL-2-2GHZ-DUO-CORE-PROCESSOR-WINDOWS-7...

that is a picture of it I found...

that worked wonders... saldy I cant seem to find a place to buy it...

I did find one on Ebay... but I would rather get it from a store, I wonder if I can build a custom laptop...

Highlighted
Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

For what it's worth, I have a cheap ASUS EeePC and the stock chipset picks up anything within about 200-400 feet of me, which is plenty.

I also couldn't find anywhere that is selling one.

I guess I'd sum up this by saying, as you know, it's going to be a crap shoot, but most laptops will be fine. You could try looking up manufacturer specs, but most of them will just use whichever chip they have piled up at the moment, so, still hard to tell.

I guess if it came to the worst, you could buy one and see, but that's a pain.

I've been using the gerix tool for a few months now and feel Like I know it fairly well, so if you have issues, post back. Also, let me know if you can ever try a chop-chop method against a WEP network. I can never get them to work.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

Once I got settled into Aircrack I used a GUI version that did chop-chop, and it worked pretty well...

http://forum.aircrack-ng.org/index.php?topic=6329.0

The sad part is I can't get that software to work due to Ubuntu removing all the prerequisites from the repository.