Add Product

Search Results:

Advice on New Computer

I purchased the Acer 8400 Desktop computer (AMD Triple Core processor, 4GB memory, 320GB hard drive) bundle that included a 19"monitor & printer from Best Buy on Wed.  Got it home and kept getting message "Disk Boot Failure".  Took it back to Best Buy yesterday and I was told there was a problem with the hard drives in the entire batch and they were recalled Wed night.  BB was no help with any replacement so I left very unhappy with them and have been searching for a computer since.  I have narrowed it down to the Acer Aspire AX1200-B1581A (AMD Double Core processor, 4GB memory, 500GB hard drive) desktop with a 22" monitor from another electronic store or a Dell Inspiron 518 (Intel Double Core processor, 4GB memory, 320GB hard drive) with a 19" monitor.  The Acer is about $100 cheaper but other than my initial experience with Acer (which was not good), I do not know much about them.  Their system is cheaper and comes with a larger hard drive and larger monitor, plus CC has it in stock and the Dell will take 2-3 weeks for delivery.  Any advice?

Re: Advice on New Computer

Okay...here's the scoop.  I usually build my own desktops but buy Acer laptops.  The reason is that I am sold completely on AMD processors.  I have owned 3 Acers over the last few years, and yes, you will inevitably have a problem somewhere down the line.  But not as many as say, Dell or Gateway.  I would recommend Intrex Computers for all of your techie stuff.  You should be fine buying a laptop from CC, BUT...if you really want to save bucks, buy your laptop from T(iger) D(irect) or N(ew) E(gg).  That is where I buy most of my stuff.  However, I did have to get my last laptop in a hurry to fly out on Sunday and had to have it to work so, it came from Intrex.  I paid about $100 more for it at Intrex than TD or NE.  I am totally happy with it.  And yes, I did format it and take it back to XP because my clients don't use Vista.  The only caveat is that if I have to get service from Acer, I will have to put Vista back on.  It is backed up and I have all of my important stuff on my server so...no biggie.  Besides, there isn't much that Acer can do for me that I cannot do for myself.  TD would likely have a computer on your doorstep within three days.  Good stuff!  Hope this helps.
Recognized Member

don't listen to that guy. buying a computer from online website is a pain in the rear. if some thing goes wrong out of the box, it is a pain to return the computer because u'll end up having paying for your own shipping and handling and boxing it up urself.

did you have geek squad do something called Vista Personalization? what it is that usually out of th ebox sometimes computers may have bad parts, like bad hard drives, video cards, memory, etc etc. Part of vista personalization gives the geek squad ability to do a System Functionality test to makesure every thing works before you walk out the store.

there was a ACER desktop 4 months ago that was recalled. after wards they came out with a new model. i don't think your model is the one with recalled one. did you check if the cable connecting to the hard drive is securely connected? if it's a lose connection or disconnected for some reason, it will say disk boot failure.

Ummm...not a GUY thank you very much!  Also, I am giving my advice based on experience.  In 10 years, I have had to return ONE thing and that was only because I wasn't happy with it!  You know...do what you want to do.  You asked for advice, I gave it!  I had a Samsung monitor that went bad, bought from TD.  It had a three year warranty.  After a year and a half, it went south.  Samsung sent a new monitor to my local UPS, I took the old one there and simply swapped it out.  No pain at all for me.  That is why I am having such a hard time figuring out where all of these bad computers are coming from and why everyone seems to have such a hard time getting service.  I simply don't have these problems.  Then again, I don't buy from Best Buy!