Add Product

Search Results:

Accessibility information for choosing a new laptop computer.

Good evening everyone. First, I know that this topic may be daunting for some, particularly those who are unfamiliar with screen reading software and what it is used for. A screen reader is a program that reads on screen information for those who, like myself are unable to see the screen. I am considering purchasing a new laptop, and I have some questions about operating systems and processors that would prove to be the most decent for accessibility related things. First, in terms of accessibility, would I be best with Apple Mac OS, Google Chrome OS, or Windows 10 OS? Now, here’s where it gets really tricky. The system requirements for most screen readers for Windows require at least 4 GB of RAM and a processing speed of at least 1.5 GHZ. So, if in addition to running this assistive technology software, I also wanted to do web browsing, checking emails, and word processing/document editing, what processor will I ideally need? This will help me search for computers that best suit my needs.

Thank you all so much. I will be happy to provide any additional information you may require.

Highlighted
Emerging Expert

Re: Accessibility information for choosing a new laptop computer.

Well to answer the hardware requirements of your question.  Just about any laptop that Best Buy carries meets and exceeds those requirements.  But always double check to make sure. 

How well the functionality of a screen reader is software driven.  I do not have a lot of experience with them but I do know the technology on them has undergon dramatic improvements over the last decade.

Windows 10, which is the common software on non Apple computers has a free Screen Reader built in.  I just tested it on my computer and it works pretty good.

Apple products come with VoiceOver.  From what I have heard it is very good as well. 

If you already have your own program it should work fine with almost any computer.

If you were considering a tablet I would recommend a iPad, otherwise you can get a lot more for your money with PC Laptop.  I would imagine you want to use headphones.  So I would look to a device that uses a headphones that plug in.  Some these days connect via Blue Tooth headphone. 

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.