Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

ns-dv720pbl2 not charging through usb

i recently acquired a ns-dv720pbl2 model camcorder and am attempring to charge it. i don't have the ac wall charger, but i am using a usb that is tested and known to work to charge other devices/transfer files from other cameras. when i plug it in, i am not seeing a blue light or any kind of light anywhere indicating that there is anything happening. i have made sure that the battery is "firmly" in place.

i read in another forum post that one "must" use the suplied insignia usb cable, which makes no sense. what's so special about the insignia usb cable vs any other usb cable? there is none. why isn't this working?

Visitor

Re: ns-dv720pbl2 not charging through usb

Hello diabetickoala,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

What do you have the USB plugged into to supply power? If you are using a computer USB you may want to try a phone charger adapter, preferrably in the 5v 1A range.

Regards,
Jon
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

I've been plugging it into my maacbook pro via the usb cable, which should charge the lithium-ion battery the same way a phone charges through the laptops usb port.

i've tried using a usb wall outlet phone charger, but it was 5v and only 800mA.

But even so, plugging it into the laptop via usb should provide sufficient enough power to charge the battery, and if it doesn't charge through there, then why would there be reason to believe that using a 5v 1A charger would make any difference?

Visitor

Hello diabetickoala,

Thank you for responding!

My main concern was that it was receiving enough power to show indicators. At this point my best guess is that there is an issue with the power supply within the camera. Even without the battery on there should be an indicator lit. If the power supply is the issue, that unfortunately is something that would need repaired.

Regards,
Jon
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

i see. do you think the power supply could have just come loose at a solder point, or that it has simply gone bad?

Visitor

Hello diabetickoala,

Unfortunately, I don't know. Because all warranty servicing was done on these units by Geek Squad, I don't have a common issue list I could compare against.

Regards,
Jon
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

Understandable. Since i got it so cheaply and it isn't working anyway, I'll just open it up and see if I can find a fix. If not, it won't be a big loss to have to junk it.

Thanks for the help!

Visitor

ok. so i took it apart and gently moved the usb port around on the motherboard and got a connection and the blue light came one. i put it back together and put the battery in and got the green light, which i assume meant it was charging. then i got a message saying that the device was not recognized by my macbook and asked if i wanted to initialize or eject. at first i tried to initialize and it brough me to disk utility, but i didn't see what to do to initialize the device. so i just ejected it. then i couldn't get it to respond.

so i took it apart and resoldered the usb port to make a more secure connection. it worked again. then, once again, i put it back together and got the "device not recognized" message. now the lights won't come on and it isn't showing up as being mounted on my laptop.

i don't understand. any ideas?

Visitor

Hello diabetickoala,

The message that you're seeing implies that the USB port may still have a bad connection for 1 or more of the pins. It is getting enough connection to link the + and - connections, but it may not be connecting the data usb pin to the main board which would keep the computer from being able to recognize the device.

Regards,
Jon
Insignia™ Support

Highlighted
Visitor

i took it apart and finally got it to recognize the device again. i put it back together and put the battery in and the blue led blinked, which i assume means it was charging? i let it "charge" for about 3 hours. i unplugged it and tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't power on. after i tried this, i plugged it back in and the device won't be recognized anymore.

should i just chalk this up to a lost cause or do you have any more ideas or suggestions? i spent all day messing with it and don't want to invest anymore time in something that isn't going to work no matter how much work i do on it.