Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

NS-DPF8IP: Buttons don't work - Solution Here

I ordered one of these on-line. Yesterday I tried to transfer a picture from my computer (Mac) to the frame. After copying the picture to the internal memory, I pressed the "eject" symbol in Finder to safely disconnect the frame from the computer. My Mac froze completely... no response to mouse or keyboard. I had to hold down the power button to restart. The picture frame also shut down, and I was never able to get it to turn on again... plugged and unplugged, removed the little internal battery, etc, etc. Nothing. Dead as a brick. So I took it to BestBuy today and exchanged it.

I plugged in the new one. Afraid to connect it to my computer, I put in a memory card and it correctly started the slide show. But none of the buttons worked: pause, home, display, menu, on/off... nothing. No response from any button. I called customer service. They apologized, said there was nothing they could do, and I would have to bring it back to BestBuy for another exchange. Very frustrating. (The customer service guy was really nice though.)

After that, I pulled out the remote. Using the remote I got into the menu, went into "Setup"/"Factory Settings". Demo mode was on. I turned it off. After that, the buttons started working. (At least, I think that was the key change. I turned various settings off and on, but I think that was the one that mattered.)

Since no one else seems to be having this problem and customer service didn't know anything about it, I'm guessing that they aren't supposed to ship with demo mode turned on. (or that demo mode isn't supposed to make the buttons stop working). Anyway, I assume that the problem with the first one is that the computer turned it off, and the start button was deactivated, so there was no way to turn it back on.

Interestingly, neither box included a User Guide, even though there's one listed on the contents.

Anyway, I figured I'd post this in case anyone else has this same problem.

Visitor

Re: NS-DPF8IP: Buttons don't work - Solution Here

I had EXACTLY the same problems you described with a brand new NS-DPF8IP.  Maybe there is a reason it was on sale?  After loading some photos onto the hard drive, the screen would NEVER power up again.  The ON/OFF switch seems buggy, but hard to tell since it never turns on.  I assumed that connecting to my PC somehow trashed the viewer internal memory, but lo and behold, I plug it back into my PC tonight, and all the copied video is intact on the viewer hard drive.  Weird, and frustrating.  I was hoping that, after unplugging USB this time, that unit would power up.  No such luck.  I am interested in your theory about PC turning off buttons - if that is the case, the ON/OFF switch may simply be deactivated?  Keep me posted...

Visitor

Re: NS-DPF8IP: Buttons don't work - Solution Here

Hi ras,

Have you tried going in and turning off demo mode? Was it in demo mode? I found that I had no more problems after I turned demo mode off... all the buttons worked just fine after that...

-Kris