Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

Insignia NS-DCC5HB09 AVI Video editing made easy

NS-DCC5HB09 produces an AVI file that is really difficult to work with.  Some people have had varying success with a variety of programs...some more expensive than others.

I have found a quick and easy (and cheap) solution that works on a quality level that is fine in most cases.  You still need FFDSHOW codecs to play the original AVI file.  A new ffdshow was released July 2009.  Great set of codecs.  Couldn't hurt to get it.

1.  Get Picasa 3 (free from Google)

2.  Add videos to Picasa

3.  Double click on the video in Picasa to play the video (need FFDSHOW)

4.  One of the options on the left in Picasa is "Export Video"

5.  Click on "Export Video" and allow the ENTIRE video to play.  If you edit the video clip in any way, you will only get sound and not video.  AVI can be a pain in this regard.

6.  Picasa creats an Exported Video folder.  Here is your newly converted video!

7.  Picasa converts the file to a .wmv file that is easily edited in Windows Movie Maker software and plays with Windows Media Player without ffdshow.

It does not compress the video, but that is not the point.  If you can convert the file, it is much easier to edit and share with others. 

I found that NS-DCC5HB09 works really great for the price.  I got an 8gb SDHC card that was on sale at Best Buy.  Make sure it "clicks" to lock in place.  You may need a pen or small paper clip to get it to click.  Take off all the plastic on the camcorder including the one over the lens.  Don't lose the wires.  It only recharges with the original one and the red light blinks during the process.  It will not recharge with any other charges due to the voltage.

Visitor

Re: Insignia NS-DCC5HB09 AVI Video editing made easy

Dude, thank you.  I had no idea how I was going to edit this video.  How did you manage to figure that out?
Visitor

an .avi file is an older type of file, but many products today still default to itthe problem people run into when they try to edit the file is that .avi does not have any "markers" in the video to put it simplywithout the markers, the video drops out, but the sound remains when you try to do any editingthis is a common mistake

the other bump in the road is when you try to share an HD video in .avi formatunless the other person has FFDShow, they cannot see the videoyou will need to convert the file into a windows media file or mpeg file to pass around your content easily.

windows movie maker will also convert the file, but compresses it to almost half the size and qualitythat sort of defeats the purpose of having an HD video cam.

i really like the video cami dont plan on recording anyone's wedding with it, but it is a small and fun.

Visitor

Hi,

I bought a camcorder and I am so frustrated with it. Have spent hours with Insignia and Dell on the phone to try and get it working.

I get sound, but no picture.

I have downloaded the Microsoft SP2 and the Driver from the website. (The disc was too small for my new Studio 1555)

I went to Best Buy yesterday to return it, but they said that after I had updated my computer with the SP2 it would work It doesn't.

Help!

I am working on Vista.

Visitor

You didn't give your computer specs, but I am guessing it should run the videos without any problems.  The videos are in special HD files that require special drivers on your computer to read them. 

The disk you are having trouble inserting in your computer has a program called ffdshow that will install the drivers to watch the videos.  You can download the newest ffdshow from sourceforge at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/

sourceforge has a good reputation.  they have posted two versions for the different type of windows programs - 32 and x64 versions

you need ffdshow to view the video.  I hope this helps.

Visitor

Thank you so much. I was going to return my camcorder today.

I shall try it out and get back to you if it doesn't work.

Visitor

Another approach, I'm throwing in for Windows and Mac users.

Like in the original post, with windows, you still need FFShow.  You can get it on the support site or with the Mini CD that came with the camcorder, or at http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/digital-cameras/NS-DCC5HB09.html.  I use Koyote Soft Free Video converter to convert the AVI file to something usable.  It is free, and downloads are available at http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html and for Mac users, there is a free program to convert your video available as well, Prism Video Converter.  That can be downloaded at http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html and while they have a Windows version as well, I have found it does not work as well as the Koyote Soft program.  There are two versions of Prism, one for Power PC Macs and one for Intel CPU Macs, so make sure of what type computer you have so as to download the appropriate program.  There are plenty of other free converters out there, but these are the ones I have found the easiest to use, as well as that seem to me to produce quality files where there are no dropped frames, missing or out of sync audio and the like.  Once you've converted your files, then you can bring them into your editor of choice, (I use AVS, www.avs4you.com for light windows projects, Sony Vegas, www.sonycreativesoftware.com for the heavy ones, and edit away).

Vegas comes bundled with a DVD burning program if you buy the higher end package.  Another option for getting your videos to DVD if you don't want to edit them and just want to drag and drop a bunch of them into a menu and burn them and view them on a home DVD player is to get the free application Free Videos to DVD which is also on the Koyote Soft website.  I prefer to shoot and edit either into some sort of production, so I don't use it often myself.  Another option is to purchase one of the AVS applications, because once you do, the license is good for all their products, including a DVD authoring program, a video conversion program and the like.

Generally, in the Free Video converter setting, if I shoot in HD, I use these conversion specs;

Output format, AVI

Codec, MS-Mpeg4-V2

Size, 640X368

Aspect ratio, No Change

FPS, 29.97 (this is the standard non-hi-def TV frame rate which a DVD burning program will make the DVD burning files to, so might as well convert that in advance too)

Bit Rate, 5000 Kbps

Select "Include Audio Track" (unless, for some reason you don't want the audio)

Audio Codec, MP3

Frequency, 44100

Channel, Stereo

Bit Rate, 160

I also select "save in the file's directory", just to keep things organized.  By default, Free Video Converter will save to a different file name than the AVI file you're converting.

The prism program is typical Mac drag and drop easy.  You will probably need to do little tinkering to get a quicktime MOV file which you then can import into imovie, Final Cut express or Pro, or whatever your editor of choice is for the Mac, if you use one.  As you probably can tell, I use both, as I do video work on a semi-professional level.

Version 2.0.0.0 of Free Video Converter is the last one that gives you all the features without paying.  While the newest version still is free and still converts, you will not be able to raise the Video Bit rate over 5000 Kbps without paying 19 dollars, and you won't be able to save the settings above as a special preset to use every time with your Insignia files without paying the registration fee.  You may still be able to find Version 2.0.0.0 free at other download sites (just do a Google search for it) where it will allow you to save the settings as a user-defined conversion preset, which I do (saves time) as well as convert with higher video bit rates, if desired.  I personally have had no problems with setting the bit rate at 5000 kbps, so the newest version, even with some features crippled, should work fine.  Best bet for either of these programs, since it takes a while to convert a file, usually a couple minutes for every 30 seconds of video, is to shoot to your heart's content, copy the files over to a folder via USB, then load all the files you're going to convert and edit into the conversion list and hit convert and do this when you've got some time to kill and just let the programs churn away and do their work while you go have a sandwich or something, and also don't web browse, email, etc. while your files are converting, let that be the only thing the computer's doing at that time.  File conversion is very CPU intensive, and doing other things on the PC during it might result in dropped frames, artifacts in the video and audio, sync problems, etc.

It took me a fair amount of research into this to find the right programs and such to get my videos out of the Insignia onto DVD, and I'm hoping this all might save some of you the hassle I went through. Once you have it all set up, it's pretty easy to go out and shoot something, do the converting, editing and burning and end up with a nice result without too much work.  Also, I use ConvertXtoDVD to burn some videos to DVD as well http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/convert_x_to_dvd.php?lang=en and while it's a pay program, it'll basically burn to DVD pretty much anything you throw at it, FLV files, QuickTime, AVI, MPEG4 and the like.  You will still want to convert your HD files however, as they are a standard that's not supported by Standard Def DVD burning programs, and you will get a stuttering result for your trouble if you don't, or the DVD burning program may take extra time doing the burn as it converts your raw AVI file into something more managable.

Again, hope this helps someone out.

Visitor

Here's an addendum to my earlier post.  STILL use the free video converter for windows or the ones I mentioned for the Macintosh if you use that.  However, I've had much better luck since my last post burning video DVD's with DVD Styler, also a free program http://www.dvdstyler.de/ it is not as easy to use as Free Videos to DVD, but gives much better results, offers faster burning speeds, and gives you more versatility in terms of menu design.

Also, I did NOT mention any editors and DVD burning programs for the Mac, as every new mac with a built-in DVD burner drive (Apple calls it a "superdrive") comes with idvd and imovie which both are more than capable for the average or "prosumer" editor.  However, an editing application called Movavi is probably about as close to an imovie like program as you'll get in a windows application and still get quality.  Yes, I know Windows has Windows Movie Maker built in.  It's about as useful as their built-in firewall software.

I do not know how long this offer will be available, but if you go to http://online.movavi.com/ there is a link to take a survey, which if you do, will give you a link to download an older version of their video editor for free.  This, along with the free video converter and DVD Styler will allow you to convert, edit, and burn to DVD your videos from the Insignia NS-DCC5HB09 camcorder completely for free.  I don't imagine the Movavi folks will keep giving away an older release of their editor for free for finishing a survey, so first come, first served.

One other problem with this particular camcorder is the battery/charging issue.  I've tried any number of adapters, including the one that came with it, but have been unable to charge my batteries internally in the camcorder with any of them, including, again, the adapter that came with the device!  When people have queried the administration about this on the Insignia community site (where you are now), they just get replies like the camcorder or the batteries are bad.  Not so.  You have to BUY the adapter that best buy sells as an accessory.  That one will work, and the proper operation (which best buy/insignia conveniently omits from their user guide and quick start guide) is that the red LED above the still and motion camera buttons will flash on and off while it is charging and stay a solid red when it is fully charged.  It's both a shame and a pity that best buy did not simply own up to the fact that they supplied bad charger units with this camcorder and offer a recall to replace the part that doesn't work.

Finally, with all the small units like this, even from competing companies, the rechargable battery tends not to hold much power for extended operation.  Try this AT YOUR OWN RISK, as I'm sure using any non-manufacturer supplied part will certainly void any warranty, but higher capacity off-brand batteries can be had on ebay for 5 bucks or less, much cheaper than the replacements best buy sells on their parts website, and they run the camcorder longer.  You'll want one that's a replacement for an NP-60 battery, rated at 3.7 volts and 1400 mAh, the extra mAh gives you extra time.  The higher this number, the better.

As before, I offer all this info as this is really a nice little camcorder, and I've always felt the process of getting digital video to a form where it can be shot, edited and enjoyed in a mass-distribution format (DVD) has always been too complicated, so please profit from my knowledge and personal research and shoot those home videos and burn them to DVD for the family, friends and others to enjoy.  Please see my earlier post on what websites you can obtain Koyote Soft's free video converter from, and of course, I already put the links in for the free video editor and free DVD burning program, all of which work pretty darned good.  If you're out to make pro-level video, you'll be disappointed with the tools I have listed, but if you simply want to get video off your Insignia camcorder, onto your computer and edited and burned to disc to share with the relations, these'll do the job, and cost you NOTHING, at least as long as Movavi offers that free editor download.  Considering their for sale price is right at 60 bucks, you still can't really go wrong, and for imovie users it really is as much like imovie as you can get

on windows without them infringing on Apple's copyrights.  

Take care all, and since fall is coming and now I've got my perfect FREE editing setup, think I'll shoot some nice shots of the leaves turning color for fall and edit them together over some relaxing jazz.  After all, there's no sense in doing all the research and not enjoying the fruits of it!  Again, hopefully if you were like me, hoping you could find a way to make this all work to do family home video, try this approach and see how it works for you.

Peace,

-John