06-22-2010 01:25 PM
These are the official Insignia FAQs. Keep in mind that some FAQs may apply to specific models.
If you cannot find a feature mentioned in the FAQs, make sure that feature is available in your product by checking the Product Specifications and User's Manual.
If you would like to request a specific FAQ please leave us a comment in the Suggest an FAQ board.
06-22-2010 01:35 PM
How do I setup my Infocast?
• Have you used your Quick Setup Guide to help you through this process? If more help is needed, please follow the steps below.
• Basic steps for setting up the Infocast for the first time are:
1. Connect the AC power adapter to the back of your Infocast, then plug the adapter into a power outlet. The Infocast turns on automatically and the introductory video begins which provides additional information about the device and teaches tips, like using your fingernail for best results. You can cancel the video to begin the Setup Wizard.
2. The Setup Wizard opens.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions by touching the series of stars. Calibrating the touchscreen allows Infocast to recognize your taps.
4. Connect to a network by selecting an Access Point (aka Network name) from the list that is displayed on your Infocast screen. If the network is secured, the Infocast will ask for the network passphrase (aka password or security key) to continue with wireless network connection. Enter the passphrase you created when setting up your wireless router. If you have forgotten your secure access code, refer to your wireless router user manual or router manufacturer for assistance.
5. Setting the time zone- if the time and date cannot be set automatically from the Internet, the SET TIME ZONE screen opens.
a. Repeatedly tap a yellow dot on the map closest to where you live until the yellow dot is selected with a circle. Tap one more time on the dot to set the time zone to your selected city, then tap the “x” at the top right hand corner of the screen.
6. Setting the time and date- if the time and date cannot be set automatically from the Internet, the SET TIME/DATE screen opens.
a. Tap the up or down arrows to change the hours, minutes, seconds, month, day, and year values, then tap the “x” at the top
right hand corner of the screen.
7. Activating your Infocast (optional)
a. If you don’t have Internet access right now, tap LATER on your Infocast and do this activation at another time. On a computer, open a web browser and go to www.insigniaproducts.com/chumby.
b. On the site, click the LOG IN/CREATE NEW ACCOUNT button to create an account.
c.You will be sent an email and will need to confirm that you created the account. Click the link in the email and your browser will automatically open the Activation page. Follow the instructions on the screen.
Go to www.insigniaproducts.com/chumby and click the “Activate your new Device” button. Follow the instructions on the screen.
d. When you see the Congratulations screen on your Infocast, you have successfully activated your Infocast. If you do not see this screen, visit the support section on www.insigniaproducts.com/chumby.
• To setup an Internet connection, please refer to 'How do I connect my Infocast to the Internet or change my connection?'
06-22-2010 01:41 PM
How do I connect my Infocast to the Internet or change my connection?
To change the wireless connection settings:
1. Tap the Network Settings tab at the top of the screen.
2. Tap Configure in the lower right corner of the screen.
3. Infocast will ask if the change is to a new or existing connection.
To make a new connection:
a. Select Create a new connection and tap Next.
b. Select the network you wish to connect to from the list of networks, and tap Next.
c. Enter the passphrase (aka password or security key) and tap Next. Enter the passphrase you created when setting up your wireless router. If you have forgotten your secure access code, refer to your wireless router user manual or router manufacturer for assistance.
d. Select Automatic (recommended) or Manual as the allocation method, and tap Next. Selecting Automatic will allow the Infocast to automatically detect and use your existing network settings. Select Manual to change those settings if you are an advanced user who is knowledgeable about network settings.
e. Your network settings will be displayed. Tap Next to connect your Infocast to the network.
For changes to an existing network:
a. Select Use an existing connection and tap Next.
b. Select the network you wish to make changes to from the list of networks, and tap Next to check the current network settings for that access point.
Tap the Trash icon in the lower left corner to delete the network as an access point.
c. If you are checking the current network settings for your access point, your Network settings will be displayed. Press Next to connect your Infocast to your desired network.
d. In larger buildings or offices with multiple WI-FI stations in the same network, you may see the same network name listed multiple times. Select the one with the strongest signal as indicated by the signal strength icon next to the network name.
06-22-2010 01:45 PM
My Infocast will not connect wirelessly to the Internet.
• On the Infocast, if there is no connection an orange triangle with an exclamation point will appear on the Network Settings icon. Tap the Network Settings, a message will be displayed ‘Your device is not connected. Tap the Configure button below to connect to your network.’ Refer to Question 2 page 2 for instructions on configuring a network connection.
• Move your Infocast closer to your router and refresh the list of network names. If your network name is there, then your Infocast is too far away from the router when it is in its desired location or your network has an interference problem. Find a new location for your Infocast.
• Make sure your password is entered correctly on your Infocast. Enter the passphrase you created when setting up your wireless router. If you have forgotten your secure access code, refer to your wireless router user manual or router manufacturer for assistance.
• Make sure the desired WI-FI network is selected.
• Check to see if you can connect to the wireless network on other devices (such as a laptop computer). If you cannot connect with these devices, refer to your wireless router user manual or router manufacturer or contact your ISP for assistance.
06-22-2010 01:46 PM
Will the Infocast automatically detect the type of WI-FI security my router uses?
• Yes, your Infocast will automatically detect the type of WI-FI security your router uses. You will only be asked for your passphrase (aka password or security key).
06-22-2010 01:47 PM
Does the Infocast support WPS?
• No, it currently does not support WPS. However, it is a feature that will be made available in the future in an over-the-air (OTA) software update.
06-22-2010 01:48 PM
What functions does the Menu Bar have?
The menu bar, on the left side of the Infocast screen lets you manage your Infocast’s features. Tap a menu tab to expand it. Tap the icon to the right of the tab to collapse it.
• APPS- Preview and send apps to your channels or friends.
• FRIENDS- Invite friends, view Friend Requests or view a list of your current friends.
• PHOTOS- Choose which photos to view or send to channels or friends.
• MUSIC- Choose which audio source to play.
• VIDEO- Choose which videos to play or send to a channel or friend.
06-22-2010 01:55 PM
What functions does the Settings Bar have?
The settings bar, at the top of the Infocast screen is where you change Infocast settings such as screen brightness, volume, wireless setup, clock/alarm, and Night mode.
• Home- Touch to display the home screen.
• Screen Settings- Adjust screen settings such as brightness.
• Audio Settings- Adjust audio settings such as volume.
• Network Settings- Change your network settings.
• Night Mode- Tap to darken the screen. The current time will be displayed. When the time is displayed, tap Dark in the upper right corner to completely darken the display. Tap the screen again to take your Infocast out of Night Mode.
NOTE: Night Mode does not turn off your Infocast. It does not stop any music sources that may be playing.
• Clock/Alarm Settings- Change the time and date, time zone, and alarm settings.
06-22-2010 01:58 PM
What are channels?
• A Channel is a collection of apps. You can view the “Featured” channel or create your own channels. Drag and drop your favorite apps, photos, and videos to one of your channels to mix and match media – or send them to your friends’ channels
• The Featured channel contains some of our favorite apps to get you started.