Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

which camera should I buy?

I am looking for a camera to capture my kid's best moments. I want to have an "instant" shot. Multiple shots per second. Built in flash, Video HD 1080, a good zoom so I can use it on a soccer field. Rechargeable battery (I don't want de AA, etc) and at least 10MP. I haven't make up my mind about Interchangeable lenses ...

I have been looking at the Canon SX40 and the Nikon P510, but if possible I would like something not so bulky,

Do you have something with this characteristics?

It will not be on freezing temperatures but maybe temps close to 100F (outdoors)

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: which camera should I buy?

Good choices.... I don't have enough experience to give you an answer.

I will ask you to walk into the store and run a few tests....

• press the shutter on both cameras.  Is there a delay?  Is the delay acceptable?  Is one faster than the other?
  • have your child walk towards and away from you as you do the tests.  How's the autofocus?
  • the built-in flash is going to be useless on a soccer field.  Is the soccer stadium well lit?

I like my DSLR, but it will be outside your budget.

Highlighted

I was at my local best buy and tried them both, Nikon seems to feel better. But I would like something no so bulky, something I can carry on my purse, if I will still have the same or similar features. Maybe I could find this features in a smaller boby?

Highlighted
Contributor

Good zoom without bulk is gonna be a problem.  Personally, I'd probably recommend the Nikon S8200 for you.  It's a nice compact body with decent zoom (half that of the SX40 and 510), great speed, and full HD video.  The auto-focusing and speed tend to be a good bit faster than the mid-size models.

Highlighted

Thank you. I will check at that one Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I got the SX40 and tried at my son's soccer practice. I loved the zoom! still don't know how to do a picture sequence... tried with the sports setting but still will give me a shot every 2 seconds (aprox)  do you know which setting do I need?

Thanks for the recommendation on the battery, will check at it.

Highlighted

@dgrinman wrote:

I am looking for a camera to capture my kid's best moments. I want to have an "instant" shot. Multiple shots per second. Built in flash, Video HD 1080, a good zoom so I can use it on a soccer field. Rechargeable battery (I don't want de AA, etc) and at least 10MP. I haven't make up my mind about Interchangeable lenses ...

I have been looking at the Canon SX40 and the Nikon P510, but if possible I would like something not so bulky,

Do you have something with this characteristics?

It will not be on freezing temperatures but maybe temps close to 100F (outdoors)

By carefull when you buy a camera or laptop thy tell you with the Premium protection plan 45.00 you can bring it back and change it or money back, my protection plan is for 2 years. And have 7 more months to go and found out today I can't Exchange it thy wound to send it out and have it fixed and return it back and I might have to pay the labor and delivery cost. So keep in mind salesmen will tell you anything to make that sale. 

Highlighted

If you buy one don't buy the protection that lied to me just to make the sale,

Highlighted
Contributor

If they told you that it gave you the ability to return/exchange the item within 2 years...that's just idiotic and the sales person needs serious retraining.  However, they should have given you a copy of the Geek Squad information that lists everything that is covered.  With cameras it pretty much covers everything but intentional damage/serious abuse, submersion, and bodily fluids. 

I apologize if you were misinformed, but the Geek Squad protection plans are extremely nice to have and the prices are generally quite reasonable.  I've used them multiple times on personal items.  It's also great to see when that $20-$100 (typical price range on digital cameras) gets someone a new model 1-3 years after their purchase with no further cost or they can upgrade pretty inexpensively.

Highlighted

I bought both SX40 and P510, tried them and decided to keep the SX40, so far looks it was the best decision!!

Thank you all for your comments and guidance.