Add Product

Search Results:

Recognized Member

Re: What digital camera should I buy?

@lrampey3 wrote:

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I had been looking at that camera for a while but not quite sure if it was worth the extra money. I went and tried a few cameras out at best buy but they must not have had that one in my view because I never got to see it. My fault for waiting right after christmas I guess. It seems that there was also a Kodak M340 at target on sale for $99 and it seemed like a good deal even thought it does not have HD movie mode, I can live without it. Any bad recommendations about continuing with kodak easyshares?

As the previous poster said, I would really avoid Kodak if you can.  If your budget is only $100 or so you aren't likely to get a good camera at all, unless you catch a great sale or clearance on an older model.  As far as brands, I would try to stick with Panasonic, Sony, Canon or Fuji for P&S (in no particular order).  Each has its own strengths and weaknesses but even their lesser models will likely put out a much better image than a Kodak.  Pansonic and Sony will give you more features and better build quality at the cost of slightly noisier/softer images.  Canon and Fuji will give you slightly sharper images but neither has the features of the former and most (all?) of the Canon P&S won't hold up to abuse.  I really have nothing good to say about any Kodak camera.

Trusted Contributor

The metal-bodied SD-series Canons should hold up to a decent amount of abuse.  They're like bricks...  (Some may not be metal any more, but I know my S100 is!) The A-series units tend to be plastic and far less durable.

That said, even a Canon A-series will be far better built than any of Kodak's cameras.  They are now pretty much the definition of "el cheapo consumer camera".  El Cheapo, in this case, meaning poorly built and poorly designed.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Recognized Member

@Entropy wrote:

The metal-bodied SD-series Canons should hold up to a decent amount of abuse.  They're like bricks...  (Some may not be metal any more, but I know my S100 is!) The A-series units tend to be plastic and far less durable.

That said, even a Canon A-series will be far better built than any of Kodak's cameras.  They are now pretty much the definition of "el cheapo consumer camera".  El Cheapo, in this case, meaning poorly built and poorly designed.

I'm not sure about the S100 but I knwo the S200 has a flimsy popup flash (handled in person and mentioned in many reviews).  It's still a great cam but just thought I'd mention it to stay on target with the "poorly constructed" thing. Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

No popup flash in my PowerShot.  Just a small metal brick.  Smiley Happy

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Valued Contributor

You know, I have a Kodak EasyShare c140, and while all you guys bash it for poor picture quality, I think it takes quite nice pictures. Sure, it's not an SLR, but I don't have the money for that. A P&S is just fine for me, when all I want to do is take some quick snapshots of the baby to share with my family.

Personally, with the software provided with the Kodak, it was super easy to upload the photos from the camera to the computer, then from the software on the computer to my Facebook for my family to see.

But then again, that's just my opinion...I'm not about to knock the camera I have, when it's better than what I used to have...which was nothing.

@Miranda-BBYM wrote:

You know, I have a Kodak EasyShare c140, and while all you guys bash it for poor picture quality, I think it takes quite nice pictures. Sure, it's not an SLR, but I don't have the money for that. A P&S is just fine for me, when all I want to do is take some quick snapshots of the baby to share with my family.

Personally, with the software provided with the Kodak, it was super easy to upload the photos from the camera to the computer, then from the software on the computer to my Facebook for my family to see.

But then again, that's just my opinion...I'm not about to knock the camera I have, when it's better than what I used to have...which was nothing.

Well that is an important note.  If someone is happy with the photos - whether they be from a DSLR, P&S or cell phone - then they are good enough.  The quality of Kodak's P&S photos are well below P&S photos from Canon, Panasonic, Sony and Fuji but if you're satisfied with them, that's all that counts.  I'm not sure how relevant price is though as the Fuji F70 is $199 and has better photo quality than all of its P&S competition right now.

Recognized Member

Just for the sake of discussion, the Kodak C140 lacks a few things that make it little more than a replacement for a cell phone camera.

- no Optical Image Stabilization
- only 3x optical zoom
- no HD video (not a deal breaker but most good P&S cams offer this now)
- wide angle only goes to 36mm
- no manual white balance
- pixel density 20-30% lower than the competition
- smaller sensor than the competition
- poor ISO rating (combined with the smaller sensor, will give terrible low light performance)
- inferior picture quality to Canon, Fuji, Panasonic and Sony

You can't expect much from a $70 camera but I'd personally rather spend $199 and get the Fuji F70 for its excellent PQ (within the P&S class), the Panasonic DMC-ZS3 for $240 for its slew of features and pretty good PQ or the Canon SX200 for $279 which offers very good PQ and quite a few features (perhaps a good balance between the Panny and Fuji).

I couldn't agree with you more. Go with a Nikon. If your looking for a quality point and shoot with not too many bells and whistles, look at the Nikon S220 or the Nikon S570 both are fabulous point and shoot cameras.