Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted

Uploading From Sony HD Camcorder

I recently purchased a Sony camcorder HD the new 500.I use with a Sony shotgun mike and it is unbelievable for concerts.The problem is sharing. I don't want to post public like on youtube(plus I tried and it takes about 4 hr for a 5 min. video)The files are also so big most file storage sites can't handle or want to charge too much.I do not want to lose resolution.How can I record to HD disc?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Uploading From Sony HD Camcorder

@saltydogfish wrote:

I recently purchased a Sony camcorder HD the new 500.I use with a Sony shotgun mike and it is unbelievable for concerts.The problem is sharing. I don't want to post public like on youtube(plus I tried and it takes about 4 hr for a 5 min. video)The files are also so big most file storage sites can't handle or want to charge too much.I do not want to lose resolution.How can I record to HD disc?

Basically, you bought a camera that is beyond your ability to fully use. Don't feel bad. Most people are in the same boat when they get an HD camcorder. Just switch it to SD mode (if it has such a feature) and then you can easily work with the video to re-encode it and edit it for whatever you want to use it for. For you to use the HD resolution of the camcorder, you would need a very powerful PC or Mac with separate storage for the video files, a video editing program that supports files from your camcorder, and a Blu-Ray burner unless you plan on encoding the video into a format suitable for playing on the computer.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Uploading From Sony HD Camcorder

@saltydogfish wrote:

You need a Blu-Ray burner, unless your clips are short enough to fit within the 4.7 GB of a DVD-R.  In this case, if you burn a Blu-Ray file structure to a DVD, Blu-Ray players can play it.  It's possible to do this directly by renaming some files within the AVCHD file structure, or you need to find video editing software that supports burning to Blu-Ray.

You can also find software to convert the clips to another lower-resolution format, for example 540p or 720p AVC video uses a lot less space than 1080p AVCHD.  For uploading to YouTube, I usually take clips and convert them to 720p AVC video prior to uploading to YouTube using HandBrake.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.