Add Product

Search Results:

Looking For A Camera For Our Church

I need to buy a camcorder for our church.  It will be used to show live video during services and to record special events such as weddings.  The main features I am looking for are:

(1) Flash memory

(2) Ability to handle low light conditions

(3) Audio input connection

That last item seems to be the challenge.  I want to be able to input audio from our mixer, but it seems that you have to go to to the high-end (> $3,000) cameras to get a line-level audio input connection.  We would like to stay under $1,000.  Does anyone know of a camera that would meet my needs and still be affordable?

Alternatively, could we use the external mic input and adjust the mixer output level down to a level equivalent to a condenser mic?

Your help would be appreciated!

THANKS

Community Veteran

Re: Looking For A Camera For Our Church

You could always add that track during editing.

Trusted Contributor

I think you already solved your problem in your description - use a lower end unit with a mic input and find an adapter from line-level to mic input levels.

I believe active XLR-to-3.5mm stereo adapters exist and are $100-200.  I see passive ones (not sure how well they will actually work) for $10-20.

For the camcorder itself, Canon's HF series are a good bet.  I have an HF100 and it's great.  Current offering that is likely your best bet is the HF200.  The HF S200 will be replacing it soon, however at a few hundred dollars extra.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Recognized Member

If it's like most churches, you probably need a Polaroid.

Community Veteran

What is that supposed to mean?

Trusted Contributor

@Nokia wrote:

You could always add that track during editing.

That's another good option.  Have a separate audio recording device and mix the audio track in later.

BTW, you know how the movie studios often do that "click" thing with the board at the beginning of a scene?  That's intended to allow the video editors to sync the audio and video, as it is a sharp brief-duration noise that matches with a visible phenomenon.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Community Veteran

Hmm, didn't know that. BTW, it's called a clapperboard.