Add Product

Search Results:

Having trouble deciding on a point and shoot camera.

I have been searching for a point and shoot camera and I have narrowed it down to two cameras.  The cameras that I'm looking at are the Cannon Powershot SX510 HS 12.1mp with a 30x optical zoom and the other one is the Fujifilm FinePix S8200 16.2mp with a 40x optical zoom. They are both on sale for the same price.  Which one should I get?? 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Having trouble deciding on a point and shoot camera.

I recommend you research the image quality and potential zoom distortion.

While I love superzooms, I find it it some awkward to carry around.

Valued Expert

I  have found with the power zooms that once you get above 14x optical you really start to lose quality.  In large part because the more you zoom the more of an issue camera shake comes into play.

Keep in mind these are little bitty lenses trying to do the job of a higher quality piece of glass in a SLR lens.

The actual distance between the front and back of the P&S lens is shorter than on SLR Lens (typically)

Think of it this way.  Take a 12" ruler.  Put it on wegde at the 1/2" mark.  every little movement of the short end of the stick makes a more dramatic movement on the other end.

With a 30x optical zoom or more you really are going to accentuat that a lot more.  So a 1mm movment at the base of the camera will result in a larger movement at the other end.  At that level you will need to have a tripod to get as clear of an image as possible.

Go into a store that has the high optical zoom cameras.  Find something that is very far away and zoom in on it as far as you can.  Try to hold that camera still enought that the image does not move. 

Also, the more you zoom the higer your f/Stop is going to be.  Which means less light, which means a longer shutter release which equates to a more shaky photo.

If you really want power zoom I would strongly suggest investing in a Canon, Nikon, or Sony DSLR

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Valued Expert

But to answer your question I would go with the Canon

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.