Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted

Canon SD4000IS???

I was just wondering if Best Buy will be carrying the Canon SD4000IS? I know they carry the SD3500, but the 4000 is out and Frys already has them in stock, but I would really prefer to buy at Best Buy, especially since I am a Reward Zone member. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Y2J

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Canon SD4000IS???

They might carry it at some point but I don't think it's likely. Their inventory of point and shoot cameras is very crowded and that is the top P&S compact that Canon currently makes. It's better for them to stock the mid-range and low-end models than the high-end stuff because the high-end stuff only sells around 1 for every 3-5 mid-range cameras. By Christmas, almost all of the new replacement PowerShot models except for the low-end ones will likely be using CMOS (like the SD4000) instead of CCD so you should just wait until then. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

The SD4000 isn't their top P&S compact - that would still be the S90, which has a 1/1.7 inch sensor as opposed to the smaller 1/2.3 inch sensor of the SD4000.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Entropy wrote:

The SD4000 isn't their top P&S compact - that would still be the S90, which has a 1/1.7 inch sensor as opposed to the smaller 1/2.3 inch sensor of the SD4000.

No, the S90 IS a compact point and shoot but it is a product that stands on it's own apart from the other compacts because it is intended for a specific demographic, namely people who want extensive manual controls. Canon does not look at it the same way as they do the other compact cameras because the design philosophy and demographic for sales are completely different between the S90 and the SD offerings as they currently are though the SD line obviously sprang forth from the S lineage if you know anything about Canon history. Apart from that, it also sold well given the price and the reviews haven't been all that good in the field due to several design flaws in the body and ergonomics of the controls, though it has compared favorably to the lesser compact cameras. Still, there's no logic in considering it to be the top camera simply because it's usually the most expensive. The SD4000 is their current flagship compact P&S camera and it is an indication of the changes that are coming in the future, namely a switch to CMOS from CCD in the SD/S and G-series cameras, since people want better performance for their money and other companies such as Sony and Nikon are moving towards CMOS only offerings for their mid-range and high-end cameras.