Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Broken Camera From Dropping

Hi, I have a Kodak EasyShare C190 that was dropped to a tile floor and now the lense will not retract. I know the manufacturer will not repair it for free. Could anyone venture to say about how much it would cost to send it out to Kodak for repair?  It was a bundle which included charger, batteries and case. I must have paid around 100.00 - 140.00 for it. Thank-you.

Valued Contributor

Re: Broken Camera From Dropping

Hate to say it probably would be cheaper to buy a new one. Kodak would probably want over $100 just to look at it.

I walked into a pole with my D300 and 17-35 F2.8 Nikkor (long storySmiley Very Happy). Broke the mounts on both the lens and the body. A tick over $600 to fix them together (from Nikon).

Solutions: 96

Generally a lens assembly repair runs $100-$120+ with parts and labor. You are better off getting another camera.

I'd suggest getting the extended warranty that covers drops and spills on your next camera.

-
I am not a Best Buy / Geek Squad employee. All comments and opinions are my own.
Trusted Contributor

Rrrrrrr wrote:

Hate to say it probably would be cheaper to buy a new one. Kodak would probably want over $100 just to look at it.

I walked into a pole with my D300 and 17-35 F2.8 Nikkor (long storySmiley Very Happy). Broke the mounts on both the lens and the body. A tick over $600 to fix them together (from Nikon).

OUCH.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

Geez....I cannot even imagine paying that much for a camera right now! LOL!  Your story kind of reminded me of something similiar that happened to me though I didn't have to loose my paycheck over it!  Once I was walking on a sidewalk and I tripped over something...stupid me looked back to see what it was (like that was going to help the cause). Anyway by the time I looked up I ran into a telephone pole!  Yeah it kind of hurt a "little" LOL! So embarrassing!  I prayed noone saw that! LOL! Someone would have made millions on AFV had they recorded it!  This was my very first digital ever since my Cannon EOS Rebel bit the dust years ago. That was my pride and joy....again I figured it would cost more than I paid for it for the repair. Broke my heart. It was a major investment for me. The Kodak not so much but I had waited a long time to splurge on something and I was very happy with it. Though it was a little slow when taking the shot....it had sort of like a pause before I had a clear shot so my subjects at hand (my little ones) had to kind of freeze for that extended moment in time!  LOL! So, I am on the prowl for a new one. For now I am kind of considering the refurbished ones BBY has available online here. Thanks a lot for your advice. Kind of figured that's how it would go.

Re: deusexmachina

Thanks for your suggestion....lessons learned. LOL!  Though I didn't think I'd be foolish enough to let my 6 year old take a shot with it....what was I thinking???  LOL!  (It took a shot alright when it landed on a tile floor!).

Trusted Contributor

You might want to look into one of the ruggedized/waterproof cameras if you've got kids in possession of RDFs.

(RDF = Reality Destruction Field Smiley Happy )

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

Re:  Entropy

LOL! Too funny!  First time I've ever heard that acronym!  Fittingly said!  Though I actually thought it was supposed to be shockproof as that was what I was looking for when I researched all the different types of cameras!  But obviously there was only so much "torture" Robot Sad it could withstand!  LOL!  The Fisher Price models are looking more and more appealing right now! Smiley Happy (maybe they'll let Mommy borrow it sometimes). LOL! 

I agree with everyone else about not sending for repair and just get a new one. But first I would give it a good solid bump, usually all that need to be done is get the lens in track. What do you have to loose?!!!

Re: Ivandaboss (Broken Camera From Dropping)

Your are right....maybe I'll let my little one try her luck again!  Thanks for your response.