Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted

RTX 3070 online order problem

Hello,

This morning at 6am, I attempted to order an NVIDIA RTX 3070 graphics card, when they were released. I expected high demand and so I was ready at release time, and despite a few glitches with the "extra step" that was required, I did finally get a card into my shopping cart to begin checkout. The popup notice about the "extra step" was clear that once you had the product in your cart, it would be held for your checkout process.

However, once I began the checkout process, I ended up stuck - the checkout page indicated that the product was not available for either shipping or store pickup; in other words, I supposedly had a card reserved but the checkout dialog didn't recognize there was any way to get it to me... so it wouldn't let me check out. I assume this was because the first "wave" of cards released had sold out by this point.

While fighting with this, in another tab I watched the card become sold out, and then become available again as another wave of them were made available. However, attempting to grab one of this next wave was impossible, because the website notified me that there was a limit of one per customer and I already had one in my cart! I was pretty hesitant to clear my cart since the website was clear that once you had one in your cart you had "secured" it, so by the time I tried that, the next (and apparently last) wave of cards had sold out as well.

Thus, it appears that I missed out on getting one of these cards not due to bad luck of them selling out before I ordered one, but due to technical problems with the BestBuy online checkout process. I do have a screenshot of the card in my cart.

I then attempted to talk to a customer service rep on the phone about this. Now, I'm sure I'm not the only one calling about these issues, and I'm sympathetic to the fact that the CS reps get burned out on hearing person after person with the same complaint - anyone would. But despite the fact that I tried to explain (very politely) several times that my problem was related to issues with the checkout process, all the rep kept repeating was "they're sold out." When I realized we weren't getting anywhere and asked (again politely) to be escalated to the next level of support, the line went dead.

I've already seen another post about a similar issue on this board, and I'll echo his question: what is BestBuy planning to do to make this right?

Please let me know if/where I can provide additional information, the screenshot of the card in my cart etc.

Thank you,
Joe
Valued Contributor

Re: RTX 3070 online order problem

With high demand items it's like winning the lottery if you get one. There isnt anything to make right. It's like complaining to the lottery because your ticket didnt win.

You have this wrong. I'm not complaining because I had bad luck and was unable to get a card; I'm complaining because, according to Best Buy's stated rules about how the process would work, I DID get a card - and then was unable to complete the order, due to issues with Best Buy's web checkout process.

Sticking with your analogy, isn't this more like actually WINNING the lottery, and then being unable to actually cash the check due to a bank error on the part of the issuing authority?

Then there's the whole matter of a customer service rep actually hanging up on me when I asked to speak to tier 2 support.

These are very definitely valid concerns, and the fact that there are several posts with almost the exact same story - to even include being hung up on - indicates a systemic problem, wouldn't you say?

Personally, I feel it's only fair that those of us in this situation be allowed to reserve a card from the next batch to arrive.

Still waiting for a Best Buy rep to respond to this. I mean, if there's no email support avenue, and telephone support hangs up on you, how else is one supposed to contact them?
Valued Contributor

They are more then a few days behind

Respectfully, it's been more than a few days at this point. I'm requesting a response by a Best Buy customer service rep to address both the initial issue with website checkout, and the larger issue of being hung up on by customer service.

Well, I've given BestBuy more than a fair opportunity to respond to this situation. At this point, it's probably fair for me to compare the customer service experience at BestBuy vs a competitor.

Tried to order video card on launch day from BestBuy: cards sold out quickly (no surprise), but I had one in my cart that I couldn't purchase (a technical problem). Contacted BestBuy customer support, was extremely professional, yet was continously interrupted with excuses before I could even explain the problem, and then hung up on. BestBuy has since refused to communicate about it.

That same morning, also tried to order the same card from Micro Center. They sold out quickly (no surprise), but I was - eventually - able to complete checkout and get an order confirmation, with an expected delivery date of November 19. I was content with that. But then I received an order cancelation notice. I figured this was because the overloaded Micro Center website let me buy a card that was already sold out - a technical problem. Called to verify, not expecting much after my experience talking to BestBuy earlier that morning. Got a sharp, professional rep who was able to explain exactly what had happened, why my order had been automatically canceled, but also how they were going to make it right. I received the card I ordered on November 15 - 4 days EARLY. My new build is now running spectacularly. Still haven't heard from Best Buy.

Don't guess I see any reason to turn to Best Buy instead of Micro Center in the future. I've been a customer for over 20 years, but it's hard to imagine any clearer difference in service.