Add Product

Search Results:

Re: Debt Protection

But the question is why when the debt protection "thing" happened?
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 99

Best Buy isn't going to know "why" the HSBC did what they did. You'd have to ask HSBC, since it was their business decision.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before posting I try to research everything first or use my own experiences. I do not now nor have I ever worked for Best Buy. After a year and a half hiatus, I'm back working for the competition.
If you respond to a post of mine, I will read it. I may or may not post in the thread again, but rest assured I will read your response Smiley Happy

I have discovered the my credit card was fraudulently enrolled in Best Buy's "Debt Protection Coverage" on 08/05/2007.  Over the course of the past ten years, my card and my credit has been assessed over $2000 in fees in the "optional coverage"  I have requested on two separate occasions for proof of my signature to the enrollment be provided (it has not to date).  I have also requested the fees be refunded up until the time of my "dis-enrollment from the program" After receiving a letter that I "enjoyed the protections provided under the coverage" and would not be refunded, I wrote to your Debt Processing Center at their Fort Worth address today.  I doubt I will receive any response or refund to this written communication either.  These charges have been placed on my card illegally.  I am aware that this is not the first time such accusations have been raised against Best Buy, Citibank or the predeceasing credit card provider. 

Regular Contributor

Best Buy has no control over the Debt Protection on the cards, that is a service offered by the card provider (HSBC was the last one I remember offering it). I remember waaaay back in the day, circa 2009, it was something we could add on in the store, but the customer had to sign stating that they wanted it separately from the credit application. I know when the customer activated their card HSBC offered it again verbally while activating the card (I remember the gentleman asking me again if I wanted it). Any sort of refund of fees or anything like that would be solely up to the current card holder Citibank (I didn't even know they offered the service as it's not something that even pops up in the stores any longer) as Best Buy only has access to check current balances, pay, and charge to the Best Buy cards and don't actually have access to account management.
I am not a forum moderator nor voice of corporate. One of the corporate moderators will be with you as soon as they can for the official response from Best Buy. The forums work on a first come, first serve basis and it can take a while for a response.

Not according to the Debt Protection department when you call them separately.  They have the ability to refund and also provide with proof of signature.  Which they continue to withhold - because it does not exist. 

The entire thing is giant mess. I went through months of it to no avail. But with enough research you can find many people that have gone through this. They are complete crooks.

When I was signed up I was never shown the language of debt protection and there was an incorrect date where my signature was. The employee did everything from behind the computer screen. There were apparent bonuses employees received if they met a quota. This of course resulted into "matters you cannot discuss in this forum."

Let me know how your situation turns out. There are too many people out there who have been affected by this fraud. Power in numbers.
Highlighted

I am replying to your post since I replied to another similar post, but my message was deleted by Best Buy. In order to fully "comply" with this forum's rules, I will not suggest people take legal action. However, I am also a victim of the fraudulet "debt protection" charges and have filed a complaint with Comsumer Financial Protection Bureau at https://www.consumerfinance.gov. While I am not telling anyone to do the same thing, it is an option.