Add Product

Search Results:

BestBuy.com incorrectly handles VPNs

I must not be the only person who is experiencing this, but maybe I am as the chat folks are unaware of it.

The situation is - with VPN connection - BestBuy.com says my password doesn't match. This is an invalid error message. What it doesn't like is that I am coming through a VPN. When I disconnect the VPN it accepts the same password it allegedly rejected, and then forces me to change it. This repeats and has been going on for months. Makes me dislike BestBuy. When you combine that with the rewards certificates expiring, it makes it hard to like or root for Best Buy.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: BestBuy.com incorrectly handles VPNs

They don't support vpn's on purpose for security reasons, lol

I am glad you think it is funny that they both reject VPNs and don't tell people that, instead claiming that login credentials are wrong.

But what they heck, I no longer feel guilty about ordering from Amazon.com instead of BestBuy.com because of this VPN nonsense and their 5% rewards that expire. How's that for an lol?

Topics: 1,335
Kudos: 693
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 311

VPN's are rejected for security reasons. You may be able to access the site but may run into problems. Even shopping on a competitor may cause issues (Many sites protected by Cloudflare) and so you may be rejected there as well. It's not just a Best Buy issue.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

The issue isn't that they reject VPNs. It is that they "reject" them with this message:

"Oops! The email or password did not match our records. Please try again."

Note that VPN is not mentioned anywhere in that message. Not one word about VPNs. In fact it makes the person think they have forgotten their password. And for the record - Amazon.com does not have this problem.