Add Product

Search Results:

A heads up to BB website IT developers regarding bots and automated buying of rare products

As you are aware (and are trying to combat), bots are frequently used to purchase rare items from your website. These bots pre-empt regular customers and buy all of the rare items in great quantity, usually buying up all the stock in a matter of minutes if not seconds. I wanted to inform you that they have a method around the 'queue' system. The method is called 'bypass' and it involves adding to cart a restricted item and a non-restricted item simultaneously which somehow makes it around the 'queue'. These bots do not auto-checkout and this add to cart method works without a user being logged in. The user has to manually log in and check out once the bot has placed the rare items in the cart. I hope you do not dismiss this information, it is real and it is being used to abuse the system.

Thx

Re: Best Buy has Disappointed Me

I think something is going on, I posted another post earlier about it, the bots have a way of getting around the queue. I have screenshots of the 'bot' and the setting required to get around the queue. 

As for myself, I was on exactly at noon when the GPUs became available, I succesfully added a GPU to cart which took me to a map / store page where my default store was already selected but there was another 'please wait' button there that never activated. So, yeah, no one beat me to it, I was hitting F5 ever 1 minute so worse case, I was 1 minute late but let's say on average I may have clicked add to cart within 30 seconds of GPUs becoming available. The only wait that is beat is by something that gets around the 'please wait' queue. If you want the proof I can forward it to you.

Highlighted

I can bump this up. While you do have to wait for the "please wait" to turn into a yellow button to continue to the cart, the queue system is entirely unaware of the inventory. The stock is being yanked out from under legit buyers. BB encourages not to reload the page, but by the time a legit buyer has waited in the queue, the entire inventory has been wiped out.

How about enabling simple modern online store features like timed windows for purchasing an inventory item, a newegg-like raffle, a waiting list. As it is, the bots/bypassers aren't even checked to see if they've been in the queue. Poor code, poor process. My money will go elsewhere. I've already wasted too much time on BB site.

I agree, the please wait is running locally on the browser, the 'bots' that know how to modify browser cookies bypass it.

Ideally, once you click to get the 'please wait', your logged in user id should be placed in a randomly assigned lottery and the server should pick ones randomly regardless of the time they clicked. Then the browser javascript can check periodically if that session was picked as a winner. So, instead of a queue, it would be a semi-real time lottery ticket. There should only be one lottery 'ticket' per ip address per credit card per BB account. The bots use proxies from around the world and multiple credit cards and addresses but I am not sure how to defeat that.