Add Product

Search Results:

"In stock" item sold to employee

As anyone who builds PCs knows, the 30 series Nvidia GPUs are near impossible to come by right now. I've been hunting a 3080 with no luck for months now. To my surprise, my local Best Buy listed one as in stock at their physical store. So I decided to give them a call, and they let me know that they did in fact have one in stock. I took my lunch break to drive there and attempt to purchase it. Upon asking a sales associate they said they didn't see one on the shelves but it did indicate one was in stock so they went to check the back. Unfortunately the item was not in the back either, so they advised me it may be part of a cancelled order at the service desk. I went to the service desk and asked about it, they did see that the store had one card in stock. After looking into it they said that it was part of an order, but not a cancelled order. The item was purchased in store, as I was told they cannot hold these items or purchase them for store pickup. It had to be done in person. However, the item was purchased, but still physically in the store. I asked how that could be, but then it was made clear that an employee had purchased it before it could even hit the shelves. 

In summary, I get that it's hard to come across these cards. And it's okay if an employee wants to buy the card. At the end of the business day. They shouldn't be setting stock aside for employees to purchase, essentially screwing the customers that use their app and frequent their stores. This was a complete waste of time and I'm disgusted that Best Buy would allow an employee to skim an item before it was offered to the public. I even called back the store and they told me it's still in stock, only to remove that stock and tell me that it wasn't in stock in the same phone call. Absolutely horrid experience.

Recognized Member

Re: "In stock" item sold to employee

@slynightmare 

I used to work at a cell phone shop. It was back when iPhones were still in their 4th or 5th year, so on launch, the demand was always very high, and if any employee wanted one, the rule was always to allow the customers to buy them first, and if there were any left at the end of the day, employees were allowed to get them. I don't know if Best Buy has the same rule or not, but kind of sounds like they probably do, and that's why the item was not just sold and taken out of inventory, but they held it for one of their own until the end of the day, or maybe their shift... While I think an employee has a right to buy one just like anyone else, I have to agree, the situation is shady, and they should only be allowed to get it when not at work, and following the same process as everyone else, especially since they get discounts as well. I've seen similar complaints about employees buying gaming consoles too, and I'm not sure what can be done here. Store managers are allowed to band the rules apparently, and customer care usually does not get involved and refers people back to the store. 

Emerging Expert

I don't have a problem with employees buying stock, even hard to get items.  But they should have to complete the purchase and not have it being help in an order waiting for the employee to go on break or get off shift. 

The shortage of the 3000 series cards is frustrating.  I am sure NVIDIA wants to sell more cards, but things are hung up

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Emerging Expert

On the other hand these have been out for a long time.  So I would think they would be fair game by now.  NVIDIA is the one dropping the ball. 

I am not an employee of Best Buy. All opinions and comments are my own.
I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Recognized Member

@bobberuchi 

Definitely, the only problem is the game is not too fair if the store gets to hold high demand items for their employees instead of selling them to customers. We actually don't have all the details, it's possible that the employee in question wasn't there at the time at all, and they were simply holding it until he/she got there to buy it. But if they don't hold for customers, they shouldn't hold for employees either. Other than that, I agree, the cards were released a while ago and there should not be any restrictions for employees, other than simply competing for it like everyone else. 

I'm also a bit confused. OP said you can't order it for store pickup. I just realized that I was under the impression that the store pickup after ordering online was the ONLY was to buy one. Does it show the item is in store, but the add to card option is grayed out? How does it even work?

So, in my experience in Product Flow, we seem to actually be locked out of adding hard to get items to our cart (we get a message that tells us that the item cannot be added to our cart). Just a couple weeks ago, we had a couple xboxes in stock, and while multiple employees were trying to add it to our cart and being denied, a customer purchased it via the store for pickup.

Most likely, the card was from a cancelled order, the order finally cleared cancellation (generally this is from a known reseller finally being caught by the reports system) and the employee purchased it during their break while it was still in the RTS bin. This is pretty much the only way employees can actually purchase these sort of items from best buy, as we seem to be blocked from ordering them until they're above a certain quantity. Take comfort that it was not destined to be stocked on a shelf, and likely would've been reserved for a store pickup order the moment it cleared back to available status on the site. Also that we don't get a discount on consoles or high end computer parts. The only discount we get on it is for our GSP. Likewise, there's some pretty strict SOP to follow on employee purchases.

Also, the person that you talked to over the phone was not in the store or associated with the store, we've been operating remote call assistance, so they're access would likely have been to the inventory system, which does have a bit of delay versus the OMS and the actual site inventory. This delay actually helps prevent double orders from occurring. If it doesn't clear an order via the app or the site, the safest route is to expect it's already been eaten up by another order.

Also, to add, my response isn't an official statement from best buy, it's simply from my experience trying to order hard to obtain items. They generally arrive to the store already reserved for an order.
Valued Contributor

As a self proclaimed internet conspiracy theory extrordonair, I must point out that this theory is unlikely. Obviously Skynet is purchasing all of these cards with it's 'Baby Online Terminators' or BOT's to increase it's computing power prior to taking over.