Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

Worst buying experience ever.

Living in central Maine our Best Buy is located in Augusta . Very small store so in narrowing down, from online research ,to the Sony Bravia XR A80J and the A90J when I first went in they did not even have either on display none the less have any to buy. In heading down to Ma for Christmas decided to stop in the Danvers store. Much larger store with both units on display. Decided on the A80J and was surprised to see the in store sign at $1,998 as I was always seeing the Best Buy online price at $2,198. Took a picture of the sign with the plan to order the TV at the Augusta store. In going in I was surprised that they actually had a unit to sell. Rang up at $2,198 and when I showed them the photo to match the price was shocked that they refused to match the price of one of their own stores. Their reason is that they only match prices within a 20 mile radius. Not happy but continued with the sale at the $2,198 price. Took out my checkbook and wrote out my check. Was then told by the salesperson he needed to go get a phone. The reason Best Buy does not accept checks without using a third part service to verify the check. Over fifteen minutes later I was told they decided to decline accepting my check. Turns out the person on the phone was uncomfortable that my check had my mailing address on it instead of my physical address. Now I had my license which has my physical address on it and other forms of ID with either my physical or mailing addresses on them. Now the reason I decided today to pay for the TV with a check is I was planning on ordering a much more expensive laptop paying for that with my credit card. In the end paid for the TV with my credit card, did not order the laptop and left in total disbelief of how could any store be so disrespectful in its policies!!!
Topics: 1,804
Kudos: 914
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 351

Re: Worst buying experience ever.

I know people still write checks but don't you have a debit card? It would have been easier to complete the transaction using that.

Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.
Trusted Contributor

If the check service declines the check they are not allowed to override it.
Valued Expert

As a former business owner the protocol for accepting checks is that the address on the needs to match the address on your ID.  Especially if it is a PO Box.

It may also have been declined because you were writing it in a different state. 

Checks are not as trusted as they used to be.

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.

No I made the purchase in Augusta , Maine not in Ma where I compared the two Sony units.
I have never ever had a check declined. I had more then enough ID on me to confirm my identity. The biggest problem is if they have a policy that your check address and Drivers license address have to match it should of been a quick and simple statement from the associate. Not a matter of their policy being to call a third party and keep you waiting for over fifteen minutes for a decision. That also kept a number of other customers waiting to be able to make their purchases. Now , I own a retail business and on a pretty regular occasion we take checks in the five figures. At the most we might want to see that the signature on the check matches the signature on the drivers license.

My Credit Union has a $1,500 limit on debit card purchases