Add Product

Search Results:

Note 8 Pie 9 Update

After the Pie9 update, our Note 8's haven't functioned correctly. We are in an AT&T full coverage area with 4 and 5 bars of 4G LTE, except our phones won't connect to LTE (yes all settings are correct and factory resets have been performed), total loss of signal, and having 4bars 4G LTE and phone says OFFLINE. We bought these from Best Buy, AT&T says it's a Samsung issue because they're unlocked phones, Best Buy says it's AT&T service issues, and the circle continues. We were told we can't trade them in because they're unlocked, and I don't feel I should be forced to trade in and pay out hundreds more toward 2 more phones when it's not my fault. The update happened by itself. I clicked "not now" when offered the update. I had read the reviews on the update and it's problems for note 8 users and had held off on updating. Our phones are set to only update, etc over wifi. However, after deliberately NOT updating to this Pie nightmare, it updated by itself, NO WIFI, nothing. I woke up and it had updated overnight.
Best Buy Employee

Re: Note 8 Pie 9 Update

Hello there, Poor-Culinarian,

Welcome to our forums. Having a software auto update and then cause all kinds of mishaps is quite dissappointing and I can understand how this can be frustrating. I have had a similar situation happen on a Motorola phone but in my instance it was enhancements that were not user friendly and was lucky to revert. In your case, Samsung is responsible for the updates in conjuction with your carrier AT&T. I hope they come up with a resolution for you. Take care!

***Please be advised that while I am an employee of Best Buy, I am here on my own time just like yourself. I am here simply to offer insight and information from a regular employee point of view. My comments are my own and not representative of Best Buy Co., Inc. I AM NOT A FORUM MODERATOR; therefore, I cannot look in to order/account information. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you in order to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

And Best Buy takes no responsibility for SELLING the phones and then refusing to take them back on a trade in? That's what I call top rate customer service.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I agree with best buy on this one. Has nothing to do with them. After you have gotten the message to delay the update, it's too late. It has already downloaded the update.

Getting an unlocked device is sometimes risky. The carriers all have their own update versions. Sometimes the hardware is slightly different between the carriers phones which is why at&t may not want the unlocked trade in, they can't use it. Best Buy is an agent for at&t, and other phone carriers, they have to follow thier rules.

Sorry, but At&t had a different story to tell. According to AT&T, the only thing they do are carriers updates to their own material and you don't get notifications from At&t stating so. They were very specific in telling me at the store, via the forums and chat - "when we do any update to our carrier system, you will never know until it's done because we don't tell you." When I asked what was the notification for the Pie update then, they said, some updates are not compatible with all makes & models due to the hardware requirements needed to download the update. This is controlled by the manufacturer and not AT&T.

When I contact Samsung however, they turn you back to where you bought the device. Which is Best Buy. When we first got the phones, we had Verizon. When we moved to an area with no Verizon service, we switched to At&t. Before doing so we called Best Buy and asked about switching because we had purchased our "Verizon" compatible phone service with them, they said none of their phones are locked to the specific carriers. Verizon said the same of their phones, and At&t says the same of theirs. Everyone is telling us that all these phones are technically all unlocked and considered global, as you can take them to any carrier by popping in a new sim card.

At&t isn't who is refusing my trade in, it's BestBuy