Add Product

Search Results:

Geek Squad Repair gone bad

I bought an Asus Q525UA laptop in September last year. Around Christmas, I cracked the display so took it it Best Buy in south Austin Texas for repair. I was told there that they'd have to ship it to Kentucky and the cost would be in the $200 range. I finally received an email with a repair estimate of $366. I was angry but approved it. A week or two later, I received another email advising me the motherboard was bad and repair costs would exceed the value of the laptop. They sent it back to Austin and I picked it up. After awhile I had a chance to look at the laptop. I wanted to see if I could salvage the hard drive. First, one of the screws on the bottom was different. It was a star head instead of phillips head. So the tech had lost one of the case screws. When I opened it up, I noticed one of the screws on the hard drive bracket was also missing.  So the GS tech had removed my hard drive for some reason and lost another screw in the process. Why was he removing the hard drive? So now I have a useless $1000 laptop that was possibly broke by the tech while he removing the hard drive and who knows what all else. What I know is that I was able to back up some files after the display was broke so the motherboard was working at that time. But the Geek Squad admits to nothing and Best Buy says it's my word against his so they do nothing. I sent the tech an email and asked why he was removing the hard drive and he doesn't respond. Maybe he's gone.

Topics: 2
Kudos: 55
Blog Posts: 5
Solutions: 6

Re: Geek Squad Repair gone bad

Hello!

Thank you for connecting with us and sharing this experience. I can understand the frustration of not being able to use your laptop and hate to hear that the display cracked and some other issues were found. I would recommend working with the store that you had send this unit out to have them help look into this further for you. We appreciate your feedback!

Alison|Social Media Supervisor | Best Buy® Corporate
Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!
Highlighted

I already did. That's why I wrote that they told me it was my word against the Geek in Kentucky. They're not willing to do anything. And the Geek in Kentucky who was happy to correspond by email when he had my laptop is no longer willing to even respond. Best Buy was happy to sell me the laptop last September. And they were happy to take it in for repair. I know the Geek in Kentucky was less than competent. He lost two screws while disassembling the laptop. And I'd really like to know why he was taking the hard drive out!!!  And why the motherboard was fine after I cracked the display, but then mysteriously bad after the Geek got his hands on it. NO ANSWERS!!!

Apparently I have no power. I'm just a squeaky wheel with a broken $1000 laptop. Granted I cracked the display and am responsible for that. I feel like BB would rather lose my business than step up.

Topics: 2
Kudos: 55
Blog Posts: 5
Solutions: 6

Hello!

If you would like to send a private message via the link next to my signature, I would be happy to take a look at the notes on the service order to see if I can provide any further information on this. Please send your name, phone number, and email address in this message. If you happen to have the service order number, please provide that as well.

Thank you!

Alison|Social Media Supervisor | Best Buy® Corporate
Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!

Beware taking your computers to Geek Squad for repair. My laptop had a broken screen when I brought it in.I was able to back up some files just before I brought it in. Before GS was done with it, two screws were lost - one case screw and one hard drive bracket screw - and the motherboard needs to be replaced. It's not necessary to disassemble the lower part of the laptop to replace the screen - and that's where the motherboard is. And it's certainly not necessary to remove the hard drive!  What the heck is going on??? 

I did the PM thing here and these reps are no help. Something about "since you did agree to the Service Order Claim Check terms we’d be unable to offer additional assistance". After writing that, she offered no additional assistance.

Best Buy just lost another long time customer.

Valued Contributor

Some laptops you do have to take the lower case apart to replace the screen. Just did a Vaio yesterday that to get to all the screws you have to remove the entire screen assembly first, the hinges were under the motherboard so I had to remove that also. Of course some laptops you dont have to and replacing the screen takes all.of 15 mins.

Not the Asus Q525. And no one has explained why he was removing the hard drive. When I ask that question, Best Buy and Geek Squad goes silent.