Add Product

Search Results:

Washing machines - best rinsing capability?

I am highly allergic to the residue of laundry detergent that is left in clothes after I wash them.  I have a fairly old agitator-type washing machine.  I went to one appliance store and looked at the new front loader machines but the saleswoman said while these machines do save on energy they are not necessarily the best choice in terms of rinsing out detergent.  She said I might instead look at machines that have an "extra rinse" function and that fill up with water during the rinse cycle.  I would greatly appreciate any feedback you may have, as my overall health is at stake and want to get the right washer that will remove as much detergent residue as possible.  By the way, I do not use fabric softener and have tried just about every laundry detergent known to man and none of this has reduced the problem I have with my clothing.  Buying a new machine to replace my old one is my "last resort" option.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  If possible, please indicate a recommended make and model of machine.

Topics: 364
Kudos: 18
Blog Posts: 8
Solutions: 267

Re: Washing machines - best rinsing capability?

Good afternoon Cosmo21 -

I am appalled that a sales person would tell you that front loaders leave detergent in clothing!!!  One of the primary benefits of a front loading unit is that they use low sudsing "High Efficiency" (HE) detergent.  Since the units have so very little soap that they use, it is rinsed out very well.  Most of the units also come with an extra rinse, however it normally is not needed.  In fact, when you start using your front loader, if you wash your clothes with no soap for the first time, you can normally see suds, because of all the old soap that's retained in the fabric.  

So, to answer your question, if you are allergic to residue of laundry detergent, I would definitely recommend a front loading unit.  Just make sure you use the recommended HE detergent! 

Thanks!

Dorothy

Community Connector

Best Buy® Corporate

Dorothy|Social Media Supervisor | Best Buy® Corporate
Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!

Thank you for the information.  I still have a few more questions.  A salesperson at Home Depot said one big problem with front loading energy-efficient washing machines is that you have to leave the door open whenever you are not using the machine because if you don't, mold and mildew will develop in the machine.  A customer was there when the saleswoman was telling me this.  He said he bought an LG front loader and had that problem.  He said he has to leave the door open whenever the machine is not in use.  This concerns me a bit.

Secondly, the saleswoman said a high-efficiency front loader could never rinse clothes as well as a top loader for the following reasons:

1.  Front loaders "spray" clothes to rinse them instead of "immerse" them as top loaders do and the spray is not as effective as total immersion

2.  Front loaders do not use as much water in the rinse process and water the more water that's used, the better the rinse

I have one more question.  What do you think about the new "breed" of top loader high efficiency units that seem to mimic many of the things the front loaders do?  How are these machines in terms of rinsing capabilities?

I'm not trying to be difficult about this but my health is at stake and I need to make the absolute best investment.

Thank you for any additional feedback you can provide.

Valued Contributor

A couple of things I'd like to input, from my limited experience with front loaders.. .

I've never seen (or smelled) one mold/mildew when not in use.

The ones I've seen used did seem to "spray" inside the drum while it was filling up, but then once it filled, it ran through the cycle and you could see that the clothing was immersed in the machine.

just my two cents, but thought I'd offer it.

Kudos: 18
Blog Posts: 8
Solutions: 267

Hello again cosmo21 -

The main reason that people get a sour or mildew type smell in their front loaders is simple misuse of the unit.  If you do not use the correct type of soap, this will happen.  I cannot stress enough that you MUST use HE (high efficiency) soap in the units.  Using standard soap will normally always lead to the type of problems you have described.  I have owned my units for going on 4 years and have never had any type of smell in them.  I have also always used HE soap, and the correct amount, since overuse of any soap can lead to issues.  I do leave my door open on my unit maybe over night once a week or so, but really nothing more than that.  

I strongly disagree with the sales person concerning rinsing of clothing.  It all boils back to the HE detergent that front loading units use.  It is a low sudsing detergent, so you simply don't have as much soap in your clothes to start with.  This would seem a huge benefit for someone with the type of issues you have described, in my opinion.  

I do not feel comfortable speaking about top loading HE machines, for I have never had any experience personally with them.  I can only speak of top loaders and front loaders - machines which I have both used. 

In the end, you really should go with what you feel is best for your situation.   You can also read a bit more about my explanation on front loading machines here.

I hope this helps!  

Dorothy

Community Connector

Best Buy® Corporate

Dorothy|Social Media Supervisor | Best Buy® Corporate
Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!