Add Product

Search Results:

Range -- propane & can operate without electricity?

Is it possible to find a gas range that doesn't need electricity?

I live out in the woods, and I lose power often.

I'd like to find a gas range that doesn't become a big doorstop when the power's out.

Any reccommendations?

Re: Range -- propane & can operate without electricity?

Seriously, buy a gas range and a box of matches. It's a simple $0.30 add-on that will improve your ability to operate without electricity, much like people have done for tens of thousands of years.
Valued Contributor

Do what the previous poster suggested.  We bought our gas range at a used appliance store for $150 and can use it when we don't have power.
Nothing I post is an official statment of Best Buy or Geek Squad, it is only a helpful opinion!
Trusted Contributor

@JerkingBear wrote:
Seriously, buy a gas range and a box of matches. It's a simple $0.30 add-on that will improve your ability to operate without electricity, much like people have done for tens of thousands of years.

I don't like matches for this purpose, too easy to burn fingers (unless they're those super-long matches).

I prefer one of the long-tip butane lighters.  Usually sold in the camping supply departments of stores like WM and Tgt.

If you really want a propane-powered stove, I suggest you buy a portable propane grill/stove for emergency use rather than making your primary stove propane.  I have a Coleman Perfectflow Instastart, it's GREAT on camping trips (and doesn't even need a match/lighter as it has a built in piezoelectric igniter.)

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.