Add Product

Search Results:

Denial of responsibility is never a good thing

I had an interesting experience at my local Best Buy in Tallahassee, FL. In a nutshell, my husband and I bought a cool LG refridgerator at the Black Friday sale. A week later, after the fridge was delivered, we discovered it was a non-working appliance. The repairman said "I've never seen anything like this in all my years of service." He told us that the entire motor was missing, as well as several other crucial parts. He also said, "I don't know how it is even possible to screw something up this bad."

So, my husband and I went down to Best Buy to either get our money back or get a new fridge. We ended up getting good customer service, and will be getting a replacement fridge. The thing that struck me as odd was the attitude of the sales person who helped us. He was quick to explain that the screw up was not Best Buy's fault, but was the fault of the maufacturer, LG. He told us that Best Buy did not have little elfs running around the warehouse, stealing various parts out of appliances. He said the fridge must have come from LG in that faulty condition.

Fair enough.

However, I started to think about the situation in terms of a car dealership. If I bought a car from a local dealer, and the vehicle was delivered to me without a motor, would they tell me it was Honda's fault? It just seemed like nobody wanted to take responsibility for quality control.

I'm not hating on Best Buy. I just think it's an interesting debate Smiley Happy

Recognized Member

Re: Denial of responsibility is never a good thing

This is an interesting topic of debate that I have had many time with many different people.  I've had a couple times where I purchase an item, take it home, and it's either missing a part or not the correct item in the box.  From a retailers point of view they purchase something and put it on the shelve and a customer buys it and takes it home.  If something is missing it has to either be the people from whom they bought it didn't put it in the box, or the people that took it home didn't see it or is lying to get free products.  Technically when this happens, the retailer isn't liable so lone as the product was still factory sealed.  BBY is one of the worst companies when it comes to these issues but if you find a good store manager they will take care of you.

_______
de omnibus dubitandum