Add Product

Search Results:

Question about difference between buying locked and unlocked phone through Best Buy

Hello everyone! I am curious what the difference is between buying an unlocked phone that Best Buy can activate to Verizon, and buying a locked Verizon phone. I see the price difference is big, $169 for unlocked and $240 plus activation for Verizon locked phone.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Emerging Expert

Re: Question about difference between buying locked and unlocked phone through Best Buy

Typically I have seen the price difference is not that significant.  

Is there a sale gonig on?

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Re: Question about difference between buying locked and unlocked phone through Best Buy

I believe that there is a sale, since it said save $100. My concern was I would attempt to activate it and the phone wouldn't have all the features as the locked Verizon phone (4lte, or voicemail, etc.)

Emerging Expert

It should have all the same features if it is the exact same brand and model phone.

The 4 lte, voicemail, etc are all really functions of the service contract. 

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Thanks. My wife and I are on the fence about it, but I wanted to save some money and thought it would be a good choice. 

Emerging Expert

I have never had an unlocked phone but you will want to make sure it is compatible with the carrier of your choice. 

You mentioned Verizon.  If that is your carrier you are probalby good. 

Best Buy Employee
Best Buy Employee

Your experience with an unlocked device may vary slightly in contrast with a carrier-specific device. As a general rule of thumb, don't count on any of the carrier-specific functions to work 100%. For example, Verizon's visual voicemail, WiFi/HD Calling, etc. This isn't always the case, but be sure to ask before you purchase specific device if these functions are important to you.

-TyC

Although I am a Best Buy employee, my posts contain my personal opinion and do not reflect the views of Best Buy.
Emerging Expert

My apologies @TyC corrected my gaff.

What I meant to write is your basic functions should be supported lke standard voice mail, calling, and texting. 

Highlighted

Thanks everyone. I contacted a rep who gave me the same answer. I ended up getting a Verizon phone from eBay and having them give me a Sim card which worked.