Add Product

Search Results:

Re: Factory unlocked iPhone X?

For better clarification regarding iPhone X not being factory unlocked... 

All Apple iPhone sold by Best Buy are NOT Sim-Free/Unlocked model. What Best Buy sell is universal model. Those universal model will only work with U.S. Carrier such as AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and yes T-Mobile. Best Buy do NOT sell carrier branded iPhone X or unlocked iPhone X.

Reason why iPhone they sell are universal is because they are designed to work for one time activation to keep their inventory from overflowing. Once you activate with AT&T, it locks to AT&T. Same goes with Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile.

So if you buy iPhone X outright from Best Buy, yes you will be able to activate it with T-Mobile as it is supported U.S. carrier. Keep in mind, if you activate it with T-Mobile, it's going to be locked with T-Mobile. However, Best Buy is currently not selling iPhone X outright and requires activation only. 

---Please be advised that while I am an employee of Best Buy, I am here on my own time just like yourself. I am here simply to offer insight and information from a regular employee point of view. My comments are my own and not representative of Best Buy Co., Inc. I AM NOT A FORUM MODERATOR; therefore, I cannot look in to order/account information. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you in order to speed up the answer queue for other customers.---

@jln9899

what you just described was not my experience.

I purchased an iPhone X from Best Buy.   I activated with a Verizon SIM.  I then moved my ATT SIM into it and it immediately worked with my ATT account. 

Keep in mind, universal iPhone are designed to focus on one carrier. It may work when switching to another carrier but we never guarantee that because again, universal phone are designed to activate once to keep inventory from overflowing. 

---Please be advised that while I am an employee of Best Buy, I am here on my own time just like yourself. I am here simply to offer insight and information from a regular employee point of view. My comments are my own and not representative of Best Buy Co., Inc. I AM NOT A FORUM MODERATOR; therefore, I cannot look in to order/account information. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you in order to speed up the answer queue for other customers.---

Agree there are no guarantees. Example-I unlocked my iPhone 6 + using the AT&T official process. I then went to Dubai three months later. My iPhone 6 still would not take the Sim from the Dubai airport cell store. I ended up having to buy a cheap phone to use there.

I just ordered an iPad pro 11 inch unlocked from best buy... Will it follow the same "universally unlocked" concept....or I should be able to switch in between the carriers...

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks.

They’re called Universal in Best Buy’s system. But it doesn’t behave the same as iPhone. It won’t have carrier lock so you’re good! (:

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.

What about iPhone Xs ... Will that be okay as well? Do you think best buy learned their lesson since last time...

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely.
Dev

It’s not that Best Buy learned their lesson. It was designed that way on purpose since we got rid of carrier branded iPhone to use Universal to reduce overflow inventory. Unfortunately XS still has same restriction where it will lock on first SIM card

Got it. Thanks a ton. Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Hi

I just bought 3 new iphone (2 xs 512 and 1 xr 128)
From bestbuy with no sim card. I told him i need use this in europe with european sim becouse now we are going international tour with my team for 2 month and we need there iphones unlocked. The seller told us it will working fine. I paid off approx 4k for that 3 phones and after in my shop tried to activated. I had with me one hungarian sim card but with that card the activation failed. After then i removed my sim card (sprint) from old exist iphone and i activated all 3 same time and activation went succes. ( now i now my all 3 iphones are locked to sprint) afteri tried again add my hungarian vodafone card and still was not accepted. Next day i visited the best buy to asking whats going on and same guy who sold me said dont worry its will works fine just i have to activated from europe not from US. I just arrived to Europe since 2 days and tried to activated and still sim not accepted. I read lot of forum and now i know its locked to sprint becouse i tested with my card all of then. I just spoked with sprint live chat about my problem and he was helpfull and promised to me removed the lock for me in next 3-5days. So this will happen from now. Who knows guys its will work after in europe when sprint removed the lock or still run only with US carrier? If its run only US carrier then what can i do? Its was close 4k and i asked free iphones international? I feel my self like monkey