Add Product

Search Results:

Recognized Member

Alternatives to AT&T?

My iphone 4S is due for an upgrade later this month. I am thinking of upgrading to iphone 5. I had a short stint with the census this past summer, involving testing out new technologies and we were given iphone 5 s. However, my current carrier is AT&T and I am not very happy with them.  What carriers are there that provider better service and a cheaper bill than AT&T?  I keep running into data limitations with AT&T and I am otherwise not happy with their service.  I don't mind switching to another carrier as long as there aren't a lot of catches to doing so. I've seen the switch to Sprint ads but I have learned that deal has a lot of catches. My stepfather is on Verizon and he says that he could add me as another line with his family plan. I'm not sure what would happen if I decided to break away on my own if I took him up on his offer. Basically, I want a decent text and data plan, reasonable cost and a decent customer service. Anyone have any ideas?

Topics: 24
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 13

Re: Alternatives to AT&T?

There's quite a few options you could take a look at.

As far as Sprint goes, they actually have a very appealing program exclusively for Best Buy customers. The Best Buy One Plan gives you unlimited talk, text, and data w/ either a 12, 24, or 30 month phone lease for a very appealing price. Pricing varies depending on phone, so I would check with your local store who can give you more specifics.

Verizon has options for individual and family plans. I'm assuming this would be a single line, so I'll give you the basics for that.

1 GB of Data plus Unlimited Talk & Text: $60 per month OR $45 per month with Verizon Edge

2 GB of Data plus Unlimited Talk & Text: $75 per month OR $60 per month with Verizon Edge

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to answer them!

I am not a Best Buy employee and cannot issue any official responses or assist directly with any issue. Any opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not represent Best Buy Co., Inc., its subsidiaries, or employees. For immediate support, please call Best Buy at 1-888-237-8289 or Geek Squad at 1-800-433-5778.
Recognized Member

If I took my stepfather up on his offer, he would be adding another line to his family plan.  Right now, he and the housekeeper are two lines on his Verizon family plan. If I decided to join, I would be another line on the family plan. My stepfather has Verizon because he has the house land line, his and the housekeeper's cell phones, internet, and television service bundled with them.  I'm not sure how that averages out for each service.  While I was doing research on possible alternatives to AT&T, I came across Metro PCS. Do you know anything about them? Someone else told me that another major name to consider is TMobile.  Are they any good?

MetroPCS uses T-Mobile's network to provide no-contract service. They're OK, but it really does depend on where you live. If you live in a major metropolitan area, MetroPCS/T-Mobile coverage is excellent. Otherwise you may have some problems. I would recommend checking their coverage on www.metropcs.com and www.t-mobile.com.

As far as T-Mobile goes, their price plans are good and they offer great devices. Unfortunately Best Buy does not carry T-Mobile postpaid plans, only their Simply Prepaid phones.

I am not a Best Buy employee and cannot issue any official responses or assist directly with any issue. Any opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not represent Best Buy Co., Inc., its subsidiaries, or employees. For immediate support, please call Best Buy at 1-888-237-8289 or Geek Squad at 1-800-433-5778.
Recognized Member

I live in Washington, DC. So how's that for Metro PCS or T-Mobile? Someone said that taking my stepfather up on adding me to his family plan might be a good deal.

That's actually a great coverage area for MetroPCS and T-Mobile. While we don't offer T-Mobile postpaid service in our stores, we do offer MetroPCS and T-Mobile Simply Prepaid. We can get you set up with the right phone and plan to fit your needs.

Recognized Member

I'm beginning to lean toward either staying with AT&T or taking my stepfather up on his offer since the alternatives don't look really appealing either. If I took my stepfather up on his offer, he said that I wouldn't have to pay anything. He would just add another line to his family cell phone plan and it would just be another part of his bundled bill, since he gets billed for the whole package of computer, TV, landline and cell phone service as a whole package rather than each service individually.  However, I read somewhere that Verizon cell phone family plans don't really work if anyone in the plan uses a lot of data and I do.  I started out at a 3 GB of data plan with AT&T and I upgraded to 6 GB because I kept coming up against the limit. So the 1GB or 2GB plan wouldn't work for me.  By the way, my current phone is an iphone 4S and I thinking of upgrading to iphone 5c. So do I take my stepfather up on his offer or is AT&T offering anything that might make it worth my while to stay?

The biggest thing that AT&T offers is rollover data. Basically how it works is that the data you don't use one month rolls over to the next month. It goes away after that extra month, but it does put some data back in your pocket which can be nice if you use a lot.

Valued Expert

I have and Android and my wife has iPhone 5 and we are on Verizon and have had zero issues with data, texting or service.  

Cell phone servcie can also you get what you pay for.   My brother in law is on a very inexpensive service (compared to ours) he got 4 phones for himself, wife, step daughter and grandson.  They rubbed it in our faces. 

For about a month.

Verizon is not the cheapest, but they work very well for us.  

And we get all our phones direct at Best Buy.  

Get the accidental damage service plan.

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Topics: 1,527
Kudos: 745
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 323

Net 10 now offers unlimited talk text and data bringing your own phone for $35 a month. Previously data was not supported on the new $35 plan. They will give you 500mb of data at the full speed and then they reduce your speeds to 64kbps for the remainder of the plan cycle. You can check their website out to see if your iPhone 4S is compatible on their network. You will also have to get the device cleared from ATTs Network and allow it for use on other networks.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***