Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Visitor

NS-40D420NA18 TV - can I control the volume of external speakers connected to optical audio output?

Hello,

I have a new NS-40D420NA18 TV and I have hooked it up to my stereo system via the optical audio output. It sounds great and that all works perfectly, but I’d like to be able to control the output volume via my TV remote. As of now, I can’t - the volume stays constant, and my stereo amp doesn’t have a remote. I see that it’s possible to control devices hooked up to the analog headphone jack, but can I not do the same with the digital output?

Visitor

Re: NS-40D420NA18 TV - can I control the volume of external speakers connected to optical audio outp

Anyone have an answer for this?

Visitor

Re: NS-40D420NA18 TV - can I control the volume of external speakers connected to optical audio outp

No, the remote is not programmable. Highly recommend you purchase a universal remote.

Visitor

That wasn’t the question though - a universal remote won’t help me. What I want to know is whether the remote volume can be used to control the output of the optical audio jack the way it can with the headphone/analog output jack. 

Visitor

The first word was “no”. If you don’t want a universal remote, then the answer is still no. Your audio is controlled by your receiver.

Visitor

There’s no reason the audio volume can’t be controlled by the output from the TV. Apparently, Insignia just didn’t include that option in this TV. 

What I did, if anyone else wants to do this, is I got one of these:

{removed per forum guidelines}

I’m going from the optical audio output into a DAC, and then from the DAC into this box, and from there to my stereo system. Works great and I was able to program my Apple TV remote to control it. Really happy with the setup, and I use it to play music in my iTunes library too. 

Visitor

There very much is a reason why volume can't be controlled by the TV. 1. Optical cables can't carry a voltage, it's glass. 2. If if it could it would blow out your reciever. Receivers are designed to receive passive audio and amplify it. You don't want an already applied singal going into a reciever, it will make a not so fun pop and die.
Visitor

Why can't you use a universal remote?
Visitor

As I said, I’m going from the optical out into an external DAC which goes to my amplifier. The amp does not have a digital input, and it doesn’t have a remote, either.

And no of course the optical cable can’t pass voltage, but it doesn’t need to. Plenty of digital devices use DSP to attenuate the volume before it gets sent to the digital output. Insignia just chose not to implement that on this TV. No biggie, just thought I’d ask before investing in a workaround. 

Visitor

So the far more elegant solution of a universal remote in the first comment would have solved this. Good chat.