Add Product

Search Results:

What TVs have the biggest default closed captions?

I'm going to have to return my new LG tv because I rely on closed captions and their default captions are half the size of my old TV's.  I cannot read them at all--or the drop-down menus either--from a distance of even 8 feet away, and all seating is 12 feet away.  I do not have a digital set top box, although all my TVs are DTV and HDTV--I have the most basic cable only and play mostly DVDs anyway.  Paying hundreds more per year for digital would not give me any benefit that I want at all, add all kinds of complexity too.  But apparently the only way I can enlarge and customize the captions is via a digital cable connection--yet at the same time I'm reading on the forums that once you have an HDMI connection, some TVs won't display closed captions at all, and it's really complicated to make those that can actually do it.  So, I want to stay with what I guess is analog service.  And try to find a TV whose default captions are larger (my older Emerson and Magnavox TVs and menus are perfectly fine from 12' away.  The LG's caption lines are less than 1/2" high per single line and less than 3/4" high per double line.  I don't think anyone could read these from any distance.  Not being able to make out the words on the menus is also a big problem.  Does anyone know TV brands that have default captions of good size, like 1-1/2" per double line of type as on my Emerson?  Thanks so much.  I really don't want to spend the rest of the day on hold with LG tech support.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What TVs have the biggest default closed captions?

Can you tell us specifically which model you have.  Often TV's havde an option in the menu to adjust the font size for closed captions.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

I just bought the LG 24LF452B 24" TV and will have to return it and eat the shipping.  There is no menu option anywhere to change the size or appearance of the captions.  Have spent many hours so far researching and it appears that if I had a digital set-top box such an option would appear for most new TVs, so I assume it would for this one too.  Without a set-top box and digital upgrade, I get the default captions which are less than 1/2" high, impossible.  And I have no idea if there's any way to increase the size of the menu boxes, digital or not--haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

Trusted Contributor

Turn closed captoins ON.  Which you have already done.

Settings > Option > Digital Option > Custom

Under Custom option you can set up the size and color of captions.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Thanks, but that's exactly the problem.  The option to customize is grayed out and only available, apparently, if TV's on a digital cable service.  Not available if on regular cable as I am.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hmm, sorry I could not help.  That is frustrating.