Add Product

Search Results:

Stream to TV From Network Drive

I just purchsed a external hard drive that I have mapped on my network.

I am trying to turn it in to a media server so I can put all of my movies on the hard drive and stream them to my TV. This would allow me to turn my computer off and still have access to my media files however my TV is not picking the network drive up. I'd appreciate some help on how to do this.

The TV is a 5200 Samsung Smart TV and the external hard drive is a Seagate Slim.

Thank you for your time.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Stream to TV From Network Drive

So your putting the movies on the HDD and then connecting it direct to your TV.  I don't know if this would work as you TV is probalby Android and the HDD would require drivers to operate and most likely a Window OS.  Also, often when movies are downloaded in digital format they are put into a file database and that requires the correct software to decript the file database.

IF your TV is capable of supporting an External HDD the USB port would require more power.

Does your USB port have HDD printed by it?

This is from your user manual.

A USB device that requires high power (more than 500mA or 5V) may not be supported. The TV may not support HDDs (Hard Disk Drives) connected to the USB port, depending on the specific model.

5200 is a model series. Do you know the specific model numbe of your set?

You may be able to put your movies on a large USB drive and watch them from there. But it might not be fast enough.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I am plugging my external hard drive in to my router via USB.  I have mapped the network drive and my computer can access it but I was hoping my TV would be able to access it as well and play the movies I store on it.

Is this not viable?

Trusted Contributor

Most likely not. Your TV most likely does not have the ability to interact with other devices other than to display what input it receives. It probably does not have the processor to access the HDD.  Some TV's do. But from what I could see in the user manual for your line it does not seem to.

Your TV is most likely Android and does not have the drivers or Apps to access the HDD.

Perhaps if you dig in your TV Settings and find anything with networking you may need to activate something to tell your TV to see the HDD

If it had a USB port that said HDD next to it then you could plug it direct into the TV

I think you would need some sort of a DVR with a large HDD. I would have the tuner source to decode the signal to your TV.  But you would need some way to be able to transfer the movies from your source to the DVR. Which I might add may be illegal 

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Highlighted

Cool, thanks.