Add Product

Search Results:

Imacub

Sony Soundbar HT-CT150 not displaying video

I am using the HT-CT150 Sony Soundbar and not getting any picture.  ONe day the system will work fine and I get perfect sound and video, but the next day I will turn it on and no picture is displayed, only audio.    Regardless of whether I switch from DVR, to Blu Ray player...no picture.   I have unplugged, cold resetted the system, unplugged and replugged all HDMI cables and the problem persists.  This is the SECOND HT-CT150 I have tried and they have both had the same issue.  Sony tech support has referred me to repair on BOTH systems that I called on.  Could there be another solution or is this just a piece of junk?
Please use plain text.
Recognized Member
laurandavid

Re: Sony Soundbar HT-CT150 not displaying video

I think there is a setting for HDMI to be on or off.  Try to mess with the hdmi settings.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

Imacub wrote:

I am using the HT-CT150 Sony Soundbar and not getting any picture.  ONe day the system will work fine and I get perfect sound and video, but the next day I will turn it on and no picture is displayed, only audio.    Regardless of whether I switch from DVR, to Blu Ray player...no picture.   I have unplugged, cold resetted the system, unplugged and replugged all HDMI cables and the problem persists.  This is the SECOND HT-CT150 I have tried and they have both had the same issue.  Sony tech support has referred me to repair on BOTH systems that I called on.  Could there be another solution or is this just a piece of junk?

It's your TV most likely. I have that particular product and know it very well. Your TV is probably going to a default input which is not the one used by your soundbar system. Check your TV settings and make sure that the default input is whatever HDMI port your soundbar has been plugged into. If your TV is on the right input, it may be that it does not work with the HDMI chipset in the Sony soundbar system. In that case, you need to replace your TV with one that does, ideally a Sony, or find a soundbar system that does play nice with your TV.

Please use plain text.
Imacub

This sounds like a logical explanation...I have an older DLP Toshiba tv.  It only has one HDMI port on the television (which is one of the reasons I wanted this soundbar to begin with) so I know I have the right input.   However...if there is an issue with the TV not being able to recognize the signal from the soundbar, that could make some sense.  When I turn the soundbar OFF and the signal is just "passing thru" the soundbar, the picture appears as it should.  When I turn the soundbar ON, the screen will flicker as if it is switching the signal and the picture is about to display...and then, nothing.  Turn soundbar back off...picture reappears.  I have jacked with all the settings at great lengths (HDMI control On/Off, Auto standby On/Off, Pass Thru On/Off, etc...) with the same results.  Sony supprt just has me unplugging, resetting, etc and then refers me to get the soundbar repaired.  They have never mentioned the possiblity of a conflict with the HDMI chipset.

The other thing that confuses the issue is that every once in a while...it magically works exactly as it's supposed to and I like it.   But if it is only gonna work half of the time, it's going back.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

Imacub wrote:

This sounds like a logical explanation...I have an older DLP Toshiba tv.  It only has one HDMI port on the television (which is one of the reasons I wanted this soundbar to begin with) so I know I have the right input.   However...if there is an issue with the TV not being able to recognize the signal from the soundbar, that could make some sense.  When I turn the soundbar OFF and the signal is just "passing thru" the soundbar, the picture appears as it should.  When I turn the soundbar ON, the screen will flicker as if it is switching the signal and the picture is about to display...and then, nothing.  Turn soundbar back off...picture reappears.  I have jacked with all the settings at great lengths (HDMI control On/Off, Auto standby On/Off, Pass Thru On/Off, etc...) with the same results.  Sony supprt just has me unplugging, resetting, etc and then refers me to get the soundbar repaired.  They have never mentioned the possiblity of a conflict with the HDMI chipset.

The other thing that confuses the issue is that every once in a while...it magically works exactly as it's supposed to and I like it.   But if it is only gonna work half of the time, it's going back.

You more than likely won't find anything that does work with your TV. I'm not kidding at all when I say that. If it's so old that it only has one HDMI input, then it's old enough to be using faux-HDMI  (DVI video chipset with an HDMI port wired in place of the DVI jack) which was used by many companies on their high-end products until there were more makers of HDMI chipsets or it's not at least a 1.2 which is the bare minimum required for basic HDMI functionality with today's equipment.

Please use plain text.
rdallemolle

I've just had my second HT-CT150 crap out in exactly the fashion you describe.  The first one worked for maybe 2 weeks, and after moving the TV and all the components to another part of the family room, the first time I turned it back on, all 3 inputs showed the same things you describe - the screen sometimes flashes, shows ultra poor quality video for a few seconds, then shows "no signal", just keeps going.  All of the sources (Samsung 3D/BD player, old Roku box, Motorola Cable/DVR box) work fine when connected to the TV (Samsung plasma).

The first time I set up the replacement unit, the cable box worked fine, the Roku worked fine, but when I switched to the BD player as source, it crackled for a couple seconds and then went dead, showing "no signal".  The cable and Roku still work fine, and the BD channel shows video with crackly audio when the unit is off (passthrough), but the BD channel is dead.

After the first unit, I made sure to be extra careful about electrostatic discharge, and making sure things were plugged in but turned off when I did the hookup.

I want this unit badly, but this is ridiculous.

Please use plain text.
mbln74a

Bought 150 Dec 2010, it has worked very well most of the time with my 2006 Panny plasma, but we have had some issues with the picture going in & out randomly. We thought it was HDMI cable not seated well into TV, it was pretty heavy, so we replaced it...seemed to help. (all the connections thru the 150 are correct & HDMI). But yesterday (4/30) I watched a movie on the Blu-Ray player, no problems, then I turned that off, set the input on 150 to Sat/Cable & the picture started popping in & out, I checked the HDMI cable to TV...finally I turned off the 150. Guess what? The TV was black and the resolution on DVR seemed to be searching. I turned the TV off & on, the 150 is still off...the TV worked great. Later I turned on the 150 & everything is STILL working really well. I'm so glad I didn't have these problems during the wedding, but I am not happy I had the problems at all. Now tell me what you think... Why would the sound make the picture go on & off? I mean, only the sound was cut off when I turned off the 150...so what's the deal? I now think some of the other picture problems could have been because of the 150. 

Thanks for all your help & suggestions... 

Please use plain text.
chchaitanya

I have been using this product (HT-Ct150) for about an year now and it has been working flawlessly but from just last week, I see the similar issue you guys have been seeing. The TV says 'No Signal' and I do not see any video (no audio either) from my cable DVR, HTPC desktop or my Xbox (everthing connected via HDMI). Tried to do a cold reset, removed and reconnected all HDMI cables. Tried different ports on the TV. Even messed with all the HDMI settings on the device. My TV isnt a old one either. Its a Sharp Aquos LED-LCD TV i bought only few months back. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.