Add Product

Search Results:

Roku HDMI sound extraction

Just got into Roku with a new Express streaming stick and I have a problem.  I want to separate sound out from the HDMI Roku output so that I can play sound on my stereo system but read that Roku doesn't support this.  I was looking at HDMI/audio extraction boxes and saw the caution about Roku in a comment.  My system has RCA plug inputs as well as two optical digital in jacks (one for TV the other for DVD), as well as a Coaxial input.  Will any of these options get me the sound I want or do I have to go to another streaming device?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Roku HDMI sound extraction

use the RCA audio outs from your TV to your stereo.

I hooked a ROKU up to a computer monitor that has audio out an then hooked up computer speakers to it.  Not the great sound your looking for but the same idea.

Or some Home Theater receivers have HDMI input.  Plug the ROKU into the receiver instead.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Thanks for your note.  There's no TV involved in this formula - have a video projector, which the hdmi feeds.  That's why I was looking at audio extraction devices which would separate the audio out of the Roku hdmi output.  Just not sure if this will work because of the note I saw in a review of the audio extraction device.

Trusted Contributor

How do you currenltly get sound out of your projector now?

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

There's no sound involved with the projector.  No input for sound (well, the input is HDMI but sound is not part of what the projector does), no output for sound.

Trusted Contributor

Then I would suggest a home theater receiver.

Many if not most these days are designed to have all your HDMI or what have you inputs coming into the receiver then out putting to the display, in your case the projector.

Something along the lines of this Onkyo Receiver

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue.  I was able to do everything I needed with my existing system and the addtion of a small HDMI pass through/audio extractor.  Works beautifully.