Add Product

Search Results:

Topics: 893
Kudos: 483
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 193

Roku 1 vs Roku Express

Any compelling reasons to upgrade? When I bought Roku 1 last year, I thought it was a pretty darn good thing and it allowed me to save money and still watch the shows I liked on my schedule. However I stopped by Best Buy Mobile the other day and noticed that they had the Roku Express and liked it's small form factor.

I also like the fact I can power it with a USB port on my TV without the need for an external AC Adapter. Would like some opinions on this.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Trusted Contributor

Re: Roku 1 vs Roku Express

I have a Roku 2 and a Rolu Stick 2016 model. 

Unless you can set it up to hook up direct to a gigabit port upgrading probably won't get you much unless you have a 4K TV.  I think the major difference with the new devices is they will support 4K

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

I have two Roku 1 Express devices.  They are connected to Smart TV's with USB ports and work great.

I would like to know if there is some kind of converter to connect a Roku device to an older model TV with no USB port.........just a VHS and a cable connect port.

Trusted Contributor

I  believe the Roku send a digital signal and your older TV is probably looking for an Analog signal

My daughter wanted to be able to use a Roku in her room. I don't have cable going to her room and did not want to spend the extra monthly for a second cable box nor do I have ethernet going to her room

What I did instead I I purchsed a good quality monitor at Best Buy that also has HDMI inputs and audio output.

I hooked a roku express to her monitor and some computer speakers to the audio.  High quality streaming video quality and a lot less money than a TV for her. 28" monitor.  Granted it is not as good as a HD TV but is looks pretty good

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Topics: 893
Kudos: 483
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 193

For older televisions, there is an RF Modulator that allows you to connect legacy A/V devices to an older television. The Roku Express Plus has AV inputs but at a slightly higher price tag than the express model with just the HDMI port.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***