Add Product

Search Results:

ChuckA
Accepted Solution

Is Sony 3D Blu-Ray compatible with passive 3D HDTV?

Model: BDVE780W | SKU: 2024262

Take your entertainment experience to a new level with this home theater system that features a 3D-capable Blu-ray Disc player and 5 speakers with Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. The built-in Wi-Fi allows you to connect to your home's wireless network. To build a complete 3D home theater system, you'll also need a 3D TV, 3D glasses designed for the TV and high-speed HDMI cable. Smart Audio Get a world of instant entertainment with this smart audio product. Connect to the Internet and stream movies, listen to music and access a wide variety of other content through your HDTV. Learn more about smart products. Netflix Pandora YouTube

Sale: $399.99

Dec 3 2011:

I bought a Sony BVD-780W 3D Blu ray  home theater in a box at Best buy, but can't display a 3D Blu-Ray on my Vizio  E3D420VX passive 3D TV.   After talking with tech support at both Vizio & Sony, but not getting a definite answer from either.  

I can play 3D content using the Sony 3D online apps included with the home theater, so I don't think the problem is the TV or the HDMI connection.

Has anyone figured out if or how to play 3D Blu-Rays with a Sony 3D Blu-Ray player on a passive 3D TV?  

There seems to be a communication stand-off between the TV and the Blu-ray.  Vizio tech support told me that as soon as the TV senses 3D input, it will switch to 3D mode, but Sony says the player will not play 3D unless it detects a 3D TV.

I wrote more about the specific situation on my blog and included more screenshots here: iCoolSpark blog.

Sony Blu-Ray doesn't detect passive 3D TV

Chuck A
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TechSavvyChick

Re: Is Sony 3D Blu-Ray compatible with passive 3D HDTV?

Have you tried manually turning on the 3D function on the Sony?
Please use plain text.
ChuckA

Dec 4, 2011 - After my 2nd contact with Vizio tech support and my 3rd contact with Sony Support and some additional trial and error, I am now able to get the 3D Blu Ray to play with my passive Vizio 3D TV.

Here is the support request I sent to Sony Support (my third contact with them on this case - with personal info removed for privacy)

Product Group: Sony

O/S          : Select Your Operating System

Model        : BDVE780W

Question    : ref EventID #E####### I can't get 3D on a Vizio E3D420VX passive 3D TV from the 3D Narnia Promo blu-ray provided with my BVD-780W home theater.  I think the 3D TV & 10.2 Gbps HDMI connection are OK because I can display 3D content from the Sony 3D Experience online app.  The integrated 3D blu-ray player seems to require an active shutter synch signal from the TV before it will play 3D.  Is there a firmware upgrade planned to fix this limitation?

Here is the response received from Sony - which is very close to providing the answer, but not quite right, and not enough to solve the problem.

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry that there in no 3D when playing back the 3D disc in the 3D Blu-ray Disc Home Theatre System. Based on the information you have provided, I suggest that you set BD output to 1080P. Please follow the steps mentioned below to set BD output to 1080P:

# Press the HOME button.

# Select Settings .

# Select Screen Settings .

# Select BD/DVD-ROM 1080/24P Output.

# Select Auto.

# Press Enter.

If the issue is unresolved, please contact our telephone support staff who will be happy to provide further diagnosis and assistance at: (800) 222-7669 or (239) 768-7669 Intl

Currently, I do not have any information on future firmware upgrade.

Thank you for your time.

If you would like to be the first to know about our latest products and receive exclusive offers, please sign up for our newsletter:

The Sony Email Response Team

I looked at this setting when I received the above response, and found the BD/DVD-ROM 1080/24P Output was already set to "auto" . It didn't occur to me immediately to try setting it to "off", however, after 24 hours with no solution I decided to try turning that setting off to see what would happen, and guess what?  PROBLEM SOLVED!    Here is what the setting looks like on the screen.

3D blu-ray 1080p setting

Now when I play the 3D Blu-Ray, the menu comes up with 2-D or 3D.  I can select 3D, the TV auto detects 3D mode and I confirm.  I get a message to put on the 3D glasses and I'm watching 3D Blu-Ray on my Vizio! 

I'm glad that my initial hunch about the blu-ray player looking for an active sync signal was wrong!  

Chuck A
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TechSavvyChick

Figured that was the problem :smileyhappy:. Glad your issue is fixed!
Please use plain text.
ChuckA

Thanks!
Chuck A
Please use plain text.