Add Product

Search Results:

Home Audio question

I have an older Denon AVR-1506 which is 75watts per channel, I am looking at ugrading my 2 main speakers for music.
Currenty looking at the Cerwin Vega XLS-12 that are 300 watts.
Will my amp/receiver be too under powered for these speakers?

Thanks Max

Re: Home Audio question

** EDIT

300 watt max power

150 watt "normal power"

Trusted Contributor

Someone you may want to look at first is the Ohm's of impedence the speakers have and what your amplifier has.

The lower the impedence of the speakers the more of a demand they will put on your amp.

So if you have speakers with a 4 Ohm impedence and your amplifier has 6 Ohms or higher it will put to much strain on your amp and could cause over heating.

The 300 Watts on the speaker can really be taken with a grain of salt. I don't think there is really a reliable method to represent this. Manufacturers often use their own calculations to stimulate that number.

However, you don't want to ingnore the watts.

A good rule to follow is speakers that can handle a minimum of 10 to 20 percent more than the amp can dish out. And impedance that is the same or higher than your amp. same is better in my mind as you maximize your amp without endangering it.

Do some research on RMS or Root Mean Square.  For those that provide it this is a better method of measurement.

The Denon AVR-1506 is rated at 75 watts per channel at 8 Ohms.  

The Cerwin Vega XLS-12 are rated at  6 Ohms.  

So I would avoid these speakers.

These are a good fit. Polk Audio Not saying these are the speakers you should buy, but they would pair with your receiver.

These Boston Accoustic Speakers for example give the RMS of the Speakers.  Personally I am a big fin of Boston Acoustic Speakers.  I have a complete matched set for my Home Theater Receiver.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Thank you for your reply and answer on OHMs.
 Iam looking to replace the 2 big speakers not the smaller book shelf type speakers ( i dont even use them).
Really looking for something that can shake the walls when/if I want.
I did run a 15" powered sub.. (cant remember the name or power rating) it just couldnt keep up so I returned it.

The main reason I bought this amp back in the day was to run 4 outdoor speakers (still attached) and run 2 large speakers inside the house .

So really just looking for floor type speakers to try to annoy the neighbors from inside the house.

Thanks again

Trusted Contributor

If you happen to have a BB Magnolia store near where you live I would suggest bringing in your amp specs and they should be able to match you to a set of speakers. 

I had looked at a number of them and most seem to be 6 Ohm or less for floor speakers.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Highlighted

Thank you for your time and effort, I do appreciate it!