Add Product

Search Results:

tacolad

Help connecting Samsung Smart TV to surround sound

Hi guys!  I need help and I'm not very techie!

I just purchased a new Samsung 3D Smart TV for my home theatre.  Right now, I have my cable box, X-Box, and Blu Ray connected to the TV via HDMI.

My problem is this: I have a GREAT Marantz surround sound receiver, but it's a little dated and does NOT have HDMI input in the receiver.  Ergo, I'm sending the sound out to the receiver via the Digital Audio Out (Optical) port from the TV.

Just realized that my receiver is only seeing the signal as 2-channel stereo and NOT surround sound.  Does the optical audio out ONLY send in 2-channel?  I just spend an inordinate amount of time on chat with Samsung tech support and they're swearing to me that their optical audio out sends in 5.1 surround.  So why isn't my receiver reading it?

The TV is giving me 2 different options in sending the audio out: "PCM" or "DTS Neo 2:5".  My receiver has the PCM logo so it SHOULD be reading it in 5.1, right?  When I change the audio out setting on the TV to DTS Neo 2:5, my receiver immediately reads it as 5.1, but doing so creates a virtual surround environment and not a true one, right?

Is this the best I'll be able to do without buying a new receiver?  Or do I have a setting wrong somewhere?  AND - if I do have to buy a new receiver and route all peripherals thru it first, does that mean I can't have the Samsung Smart Hub apps (i.e. Netflix, Vudu, etc.) in true surround sound?

I swear I thought I was watching stuff in 5.1 until this weekend when I noticed it was just a 2-channel signal.  I'm worried because I did a System Restore on the TV this weekend while I was playing around trying to get other stuff to work. I'm hoping I didn't have it working perfectly and then somehow the System Restore botched it.

Help?

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
rwillen

Re: Help connecting Samsung Smart TV to surround sound

The Samsung rep is half right. The TV will send out a 5.1 signal over optical from Over The Air content, and from streaming services that support it. However, with any device that's connected to the TV VIA HDMI the TV will downmix and send a 2.0 signal. This is due to content restrictions with HDMI.

You have three options:

1) If you have enought optical ports on your reciever, send video from each device to the TV via HDMI, and audio to the reciever over optical.

2) If you don't have enough optical ports, buy an optical switch. If you look around they can be found for a reasonable price.

3) Buy a reciever with HDMI. Marantz just came out with a new line that are really nice.

Please use plain text.
paladin220

Best bet is to update your receiver.  If you hook up separate optical outputs from your various devices as described above, chances are that the audio will not sync with the video on your tv.  The tv takes more time to process the hdmi signal than the receiver will to process the optical audio info.

Please use plain text.
tacolad

Thanks SO much for the help -- that explains why I swore it was in 5.1 the other day - I bet I was watching Netflix or Hulu via the Smart Hub.

That really stinks, though - I love my Marantz receiver and hate the idea of having to replace it just because it's outmoded.  Sigh.  I suppose that comes with the territory, though.

So here's a question -- I was just at Best Buy today taking a recon gander at receivers.  My Samsung TV is 3D and it looked like some of the receivers had a 3D logo on their sales flyers while others didn't.  Do I need a special 3D-compatible receiver in order to route my 3D Blu-Ray through it?  Or can ANY receiver with an HDMI handle 3D?

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
rwillen

tacolad wrote:

Thanks SO much for the help -- that explains why I swore it was in 5.1 the other day - I bet I was watching Netflix or Hulu via the Smart Hub.

That really stinks, though - I love my Marantz receiver and hate the idea of having to replace it just because it's outmoded.  Sigh.  I suppose that comes with the territory, though.

So here's a question -- I was just at Best Buy today taking a recon gander at receivers.  My Samsung TV is 3D and it looked like some of the receivers had a 3D logo on their sales flyers while others didn't.  Do I need a special 3D-compatible receiver in order to route my 3D Blu-Ray through it?  Or can ANY receiver with an HDMI handle 3D?

At this point it's really just the low end receivers that don't carry a 3D signal. Considering you currently have a Marantz I don't think those are what you want anyway. Just make sure the HDMI ports are HDMI 1.4 compliant. Unless your cables are new, you may need new cables as well.

Please use plain text.