Add Product

Search Results:

HOW DO I FIND CALIBRATION INFO?

How does one find calibration information?

Such as,what's done? Or what settings can be adjusted?

What kind of equiptment is used and how?

Would Best Buy have the latest and best calibration tools?

What are some brand names of this equiptment?
These things concern me,if I were to have someone touch or adjust my new,very expensive TV.

Trusted Contributor

Re: HOW DO I FIND CALIBRATION INFO?

duggy40 wrote:

How does one find calibration information?

Such as,what's done? Or what settings can be adjusted?

What kind of equiptment is used and how?

Would Best Buy have the latest and best calibration tools?

What are some brand names of this equiptment?
These things concern me,if I were to have someone touch or adjust my new,very expensive TV.

Depends on what kind of calibration you refer to.

If it's focus calibration for projection TVs - No clue.  I'm sure you can find some resources somewhere.

If it's color calibration - In the photography world this is called "monitor profiling".  It can be done with devices such as the Pantone/GretagMacbeth Huey.  Unfortunately many TVs have "dynamic contrast enhancement" where the backlight is modulated to improve black levels in dark scenes depending on scene content.  Most PC monitors have a high contrast ratio to begin with and don't do dynamic contrast.  As a result, solutions that work well for PC monitors (like my Huey) choke on TVs.  I once tried to profile my old Westinghouse 47" LCD and it was a total failure because the dynamic contrast mechanism confused the profiling software.  I haven't tried profiling my new Aquos, since it's "close enough" for me.  Most monitors and good TVs will be "close enough" unless you're doing photo editing and trying to color match what you see on the monitor to what you print.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Topics: 228
Kudos: 16
Solutions: 202

Hi duggy40!

Here's info available on BestBuy.com regarding the Geek Squad TV Calibration service:

TV Calibration Info & Video

Hope this helps!

Elizabeth|Social Media Supervisor|Best Buy® Corporate

Are there Best Buy personnel on this forum?

Are Best Buy personnel on this forum.I thought so.If there is,are there any calibration technicians. familiar with TV calibration?I would like to know what would take place with a calibration on a Sony XBR8?

What adjustments are available?

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Are there Best Buy personnel on this forum?

There are some BB employees from various positions that are here in an unofficial capacity.

There are also BB employees whose job includes monitoring these forums, but many are designated "Community Connectors" who can try to hunt down the info but don't necessarily know it themselves.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

Re: Are there Best Buy personnel on this forum?

Thanks,

I wish one of them would hunt the info down.As I don't think it's too much to ask,after purchasing a $4000 TV.

That's a serious purchase.

Is focus adjustment done by calibration?

I was thinking of getting my new Sony XBR8 calibrated,as suggested.

My question is (or one of them) the picture of this 46"XBR8 is soft,as if out of focus.Adjusting the sharpness up is not a fix.

Does anyone know,is one of the calibration features adjusting focus?In the internal,sevice settings?

Example:when a picture is taken,one has to focus the camera.A picture, taken out of focus, can't be properly fixed, by just, adjusting the sharpness later, in photo editing.(maybe a little).

So,is there a focus adjustment,for the Sony XBR8,via Calibration?

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Is focus adjustment done by calibration?

It appears that the XBR8 is a flat panel TV (LCD with LED backlight I think?) and not a projection TV.

Thus it should never be out of focus.  Focus/alignment only applies to projection type televisions.  DLP projection TVs with a single chip can become defocused, and old-school triple-tube CRT projection TVs could also become misaligned (where red, green, and blue are offset from each other.  For an LCD flat panel TV, the only thing that a TV calibration MIGHT perform is color correction adjustment.

What is your source material/type?  You might just have a case of GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out).

------------------

Re: Is focus adjustment done by calibration?

WOW,

It would be all Best Buy's garbage!

Sony PS3 W/Monster Cable 4' M1000 at 1080p/24

Pioneer Elite blu ray BDP-05 w/Monster cable m1000 4'

Blu ray's:The Wild,Kung Fu Panda,Open Season1,Transformers,Final Fantasy,Bolt,Spider Man trilogy.,etc.

I'm refering to,for example,the tv calibration offered by Best Buy,for $300.