Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

HDMI splitter does not provide enough output signal power

I bought two of these splitter units. I have one installed from my cable box, with one output to my TV and one to my surround system. The other is from my DVD with outputs to my TV and the other to my surround system. I have the output of the surround system to my TV as well. The plan was to be able to play cable or DVD directly to the TV, or play cable or DVD through the surround system to the TV, by selecting the corrrect HDMI input on the TV instead of switching a bunch of cables around.

It works sort of (not really), but the TV randomly and frequently loses the signal for a few seconds. NOT GOOD. If I do switch cables around to do this without the Rocketfish splitters, the TV never loses the signal. It's as if the splitter does not quite give the two outputs the same signal strength (energy) as it is getting from the input.

Is this common, because as is, they are now just paperweights.

Topics: 13
Kudos: 40
Blog Posts: 3
Solutions: 179

Re: HDMI splitter does not provide enough output signal power

Hello cwayneu,

Welcome to Community@ Rocketfish™!

We'll be happy to look into this concern if you'll please reply with your product model number!

Regards,
Justin
Rocketfish™ Support

Justin|Community Connector | Best Buy® Corporate
Visitor

Model RF-G1182

As stated above, the outputs just seem to drop a small percentage of the input power. The TV (Sharp 60" LED) randomly goes blank with a "signal lost" message, then back on. This happens from the cable RF-G1182 unit as well as the DVD RF-G1182. When I remove the units and manually remap cables directly to the TV, it does not happen.

Wayne

Visitor

Hello cwayneu,

Welcome to Community@ Rocketfish™!

It sounds to me like there may be an issue with some HDCP handshaking going on here, if you could give me the model numbers for your TV and Home Theater unit I would be more than happy to assist.

Regards,
Tom
Rocketfish™ Support

Visitor

Not sure that makes sense because it's OK without the Splitter, and not OK with the splitter, and it is intermittent.

However,

TV is a Sparp Aquos 60" Class LED 1080P 120 Hz Model LC-60LE640U.

Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V373 AV Receiver.

Visitor

Hello cwayneu,

Actually the intermittent nature of the issue lends credence to the idea of HDCP conflicts, as the more devices you insert into an HDMI network, the more common these types of issues become. Each sending device must, to be DRM (digital rights management) compliant, ask each receiving device for handshakes when first powered on or connected and then periodically thereafter. When you add a splitter or switch into the mix that device then has to accept the request, send a delay request to the source device and then pass the handshake on to all devices after it in the chain. In your case that handshake is then sent to the TV and the HT unit, the TV can then reply with its own handshake back to the source device, however the HT unit can only handshake for the audio and must pass the rest on to the TV then sending its own delay back up the chain. So as you can see this starts to become a bit of a traffic jam, and I would suspicion a guess that at some point your source devices are shutting down as they start to get multiple handshakes from the same TV on a single request. I would recommend using HDMI switches instead of splitters as they only output to one device at a time which is all you are trying to do.

However, the best scenario would be to run your DVD and cable box directly into your HT unit and then out to the TV, I am uncertain why you need to bypass the HT unit in this setup, but if that is a necessity then switches, not splitters are the way to go.

Regards,
Tom
Rocketfish™ Support

Visitor

Well that may make sense, except the issue occurs even when the HT unit is powered off. The whole idea is that just for the two of us, the TV speakers are just fine. So we want the cable and DVD directly to the TV. When we have the kids and grandkids over (every weekend), we use the surround sound. This issue (random signal loss) happens when we are in direct TV or direct DVD mode, with the HT unit powered down, and when we are in surround sound mode with the splitters hooked up. So in the first case, the TV should only be getting a signal from the cable or DVD unit. Especially in TV mode because the DVD is powered off as well, but it still happens unless I physically switch cables and bypass the cable to TV splitter.

So what's the point of ever using a splitter if this is what happens. Plus the TV has 4 HDMI inputs and I must select an input source from the TV menu, so it seems like the TV would not be paying any attention to the other three.

I appreciate your comments, but I am not going to turn around and now buy two HDMI switches. I will just have to manually switch cables, and stare at my two expensive paper weights.

Visitor

Hello cwayneu,

I can certainly understand your frustration, I personally spent a great deal of time building my HD setup at home which is comprised of switches, splitters, wireless units, and HDMI over Ethernet with three source devices all capable of output to any one of three TVs/monitors. Typically splitters are not as desirable when you are sending DRM protected content, like movies and TV. They work best with non protected content such as a computer.

Are you outside of the return/exchange period on your splitters?

Regards,
Tom
Rocketfish™ Support

Visitor

Yes, I'm afraid I am just SOL on returns at this point.

Again, I appreciate your time, but I still don't quite follow your logic. Especially when all the components except the TV, Cable box, and splitter between the cable box and TV are powered off and it still loses signal. Makes no sense to me unless the splitter is introducing a varying, out of tolerance voltage loss. Being a retired electrical engineer, I know at level o (physical layer) it is all about voltages and heartbeats just like layer 0 of Ethernet. DRM is a higher level software component, like IP is a higher lever component of (IEEE 802) Ethernet. If the voltages and heartbeat are there, that's all level 0 cares about. To lose the signal, it still seems like the splitter has some loss of signal strength on the outputs, because it does not happen when the splitter is bypassed.

I guess it does not matter at this point, and I will resign to cable jockeying between the two desired setups. Thanks anyway.

Wayne

Visitor

Hello cwayneu,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,
Tom
Rocketfish™ Support