Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

Trying to increase my BBY card credit limit

I've been a Best Buy credit card holder for nearly 9 years. The last change to my credit limit was 6 years ago (Jan 2011), to $605 down from $1105. Last month I started a new job, but over the past 6 years (i've worked 2 other jobs since 2011) I've never had the urge to request a credit limit increase because I fear I would get turned down. I bought a number of things on a BBY credit card over the 6 year period, and I always payed my BBY credit card balance on time.  I'm considering buying a MacBook or a iMac and I want to increase my credit card limit. What would be an acceptable amount for requesting a credit limit increase? Help is appreciated, thank you

Topics: 15
Kudos: 187
Solutions: 99

Re: Trying to increase my BBY card credit limit

Hey DHT4218,

I just responded to your question about your trade-in, in case you haven't seen it yet!  As far as this inquiry goes, you would need to contact Citibank about your My Best Buy Credit Card since they alone can access your account and offer assistance with credit limit increases.  I'm not a credit expert by any means, but I feel like if you originally had a higher limit than you do now, it may be easier to go back up.

I hope this helps.

Sam | Best Buy Store Phone Operator

I am a Best Buy Employee at one of our retail stores. While here to help, the opinions presented by me on this site do not represent the views or decisions of Best Buy and its affiliates. Authorized company representatives identified with -BBY after their names are able to address specific concerns or inquiries in greater detail.

Forum Guidelines | Price Match Guarantee | Return & Exchange Promise

Did I answer your question? Mark as SOLVED! | Do you like my post? Give KUDOS!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Well it's going to depend on your credit. Now it's generally better to ask for more than needed. This is due to the fact when you max out a credit card it's going to hurt your credit score until you pay it down some. This is called utilization. But it's also going to help in the fact of in case you need that little extra for the MacBook. Now with Citi Bank they can be a bit inquiry sensitive and what I mean by that is anytime you apply for credit an inquiry is done on your credit report. Citi also will generally pull Transunion or sometimes Equifax depending where you live but if you have less than 6 inquiries in the past year with either of those credit bureaus you might be in luck then. The other thing is and if I recall correctly with Citi Bank you can request more and they will counter if the computer cannot increase full amount.

What do you mean by that you might ask? Well if you go online and login into your best buy credit card and hit request limit increase. Enter in whatever amount you want/need. We will say 10,000 the computer will analyze your credit report. It might come back saying some of the following:

1. Approved
2. Denied but we can approve it for 8000 instead, this is the computer counter offering.
3. Denied

Following up with more information. I listed my annual income as 10400 based on my hourly wage at work. I'm asking for a $1200 credit line increase. Do you think this is fair?

Valued Contributor

Anything is possible. When I worked retail I've had a customer apply for a Sears card. They entered their income as 10k and got approved for a 10k credit line. I've also seen customers enter 300k income and get approved for only 8k credit line. It's going to primarily be based on your overall credit. More income does generally help due to the fact they want to make sure you can repay the debt borrowed. But a 1200 increase is also going to be based on the overall credit line. I remember when I worked retail and made roughly 10k a year I was able to get credit lines 2-10k range. So it's very plausible. But generally with Citi if I recall correctly. You should ask for more because I think the computer will counter offer. If I recall correctly that is.