on 09-05-201209:41 AM - last edited on 09-26-201302:07 PM by Matt-BBY
Roku is a smart digital media player that lets you stream movies, music, sports and more via an Internet connection on your TV. Whether you’re planning to buy a Roku set-top box or already own the player, the most likely reason is to stream your favorite movies and TV shows from Netflix or Hulu Plus. But did you know there’s a whole lot more you could do with a Roku? Here are five possibilities.
1. Stream your personal photos, videos and music to your TV With Plex for Roku, you can stream your collection of photos, videos, and music stored on your desktop or laptop to the TV. Want to show off your vacation photos or home movies to your friends or family on the big screen? Add Plex from the Roku Channel Store and download the Plex Media Server to get started.
Alternatively, if you own an Android device, get the Juice for Roku (paid) Android App. The clever app wirelessly streams your personal photos, videos and music stores on your Android phone or tablet to the TV via the Roku box.
2. Play games Good news for Angry Birds addicts,if you’re the proud owner of a Roku 2, you can play several games on the set-top box. Games include Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, Castle Warriors, and more. Obviously, these games are aimed at the casual gamer. A game remote control is included with the Roku 2 XS, however the Roku 2 XD and Roku 2 HD players require an add-on game remote.
3. Get in shape The Roku player offers more than 300 channels, including a selection of free and paid fitness channels. With a monthly subscription to channels like Gymbox, Gaiam TV, or Pilates Anytime, you could access a library of workout videos and exercise in the privacy of your own home. New videos are added regularly. Another option is to try the free LiveExercise channel, which streams live and on-demand fitness shows daily.
4. Cook like a pro Conveniently watch cooking instruction videos on your TV, while making dinner, thanks to the Roku. Download free channels such as iFood.tv or AllRecipes from the Roku Channel Store to access hundreds of free, on-demand recipe videos, how-to cooking demonstrations, and more food content. Both channels are free for users.
5. Enhance your Facebook experience Add the Facebook Photos & Videos channel to your Roku to browse and “like” your friends’ pictures and videos on your TV in a slideshow format. Other Facebook functionality is not available.
This digital media player supports signals up to 1080p and features built-in wireless networking that allows you to stream media to your TV, so you can enjoy your favorite TV shows, movies and more in stunning high-definition. Smart Set-Top BoxGet a world of instant entertainment with this smart set-top box. Connect to the Internet and stream movies, listen to music and access a wide variety of other content on your HDTV. Learn more about smart products.Netflix Hulu