Add Product

Search Results:

Re: "Get 10" pre-order bonus no longer a thing?

I'm not saying it's better.  Just that I already have Amazon Prime for it's 2-day shipping & Prime Video.  The 20% off is good, but it was the $10 rewards on a lot of games that made me join in the forst place.  Before GC, I only pre-ordered 1-2 games a year on titles that I really wanted like the latest Battlefield game or NCAA Football when it was around.  Otehrwise I just waited until they were discounted long after release.  After I joined GC almost everything I bought was a pre-order, b/c of the 20% off and $10 reward.

Yup, I also already have prime at the student price too (half of regular price) only reason I use GCU is because of the pre order bonus. Not saying Prime is better, but the GCU $10 pre order was what made me switch over. Feeling a little burned since I signed for it on September of last year. Hope it comes back, but as of now I have Horizon Zero Dawn preorder with Amazon.

If i sign up for Amazon prime, that means i get 5% cash back on my purchases from amazon instead of 3%.  Plus tons of exclusive deals (even on black friday they hold out deals on "regular" buyers...)

For me, i was on the fence with For Honor and the thing that held me back was the $10 credit...  for $38 i was a release date buyer, but i can wait for a while and get it for $30 in a few months.  Not like i don't have other games to play... BF1, R6S, TF2... all great shooters i can pick up any time, and for two of them i have all the DLC paid for...  i can attack my backlog of games (like Uncharted 1-3 remastered) or re-play Fallout 4...  all for free.  I need an incentive to go buy something new...  the only game i'm looking at is Ghost Recon because my son liked it (thought it was  across between Division and Just Cause 3.... more realistic (no Bullet Sponges in the Beta at least) and enjoyed live co-op.  The NPCs i tried to control were a PITA and i only liked it when i played with my son.  That will be the game he gets for his Birthday early...

I don't think anyone pays attention to this feedback at a level that can do anything.  I highly doubt the forum moderators are called into high level meetings where people make real decisions.  I would hope i'm wrong (especially if i'm a stock holder) but the reality is maybe they learned that it doesn't help the bottom line,, so they let the program die except for titles where the publisher really needed to make a push (like TF2 where it had LOADS of competition at release time...)

At the end of the day, $38 release date titles were attractive to me... it cost me $8 more than it would if i waited a few weeks/months and for PvP that's a big deal.  Games where i don't play against other people i am happy to wait for (ironic because that's what i'll end up buying for my son and me to play...  and might do it release day).  But most of the time, i'll wait for those.  Eventually those games all end up on a deal site for $30 or less.

I'm fairly convinced that best buy is or even has quietly canceled this program. My local store has took down the area that displayed the preorder cards and a touch screen for checking out videos and info of games. They did that this last end of November or early December. When I asked on different times I've been there, no one knows why. So that with the company seemingly refusing to publish what titles are in the program just about a quarter Into the year. For me it adds up to it being eliminated. I only have paid for this program since it began for two reasons. The 20% off (is nice, but not the only retailer that does it), and most of all the 500 points($10) put into the rewards my account. I would use those $10 to help pay for the next game that would be in the program which then would help buy the next game. And so on for the last few years. The giving back aspect of the program is what set Best Buy aside and above all other retailers. If this program is eliminated, I will not renew or in fact I may have to get a partial refund for the time remaining on my membership. It really is a shame that Best Buy has consistently been changing since their main competition (circuit city) went under.

alphanate wrote:
I'm fairly convinced that best buy is or even has quietly canceled this program. My local store has took down the area that displayed the preorder cards and a touch screen for checking out videos and info of games. They did that this last end of November or early December. When I asked on different times I've been there, no one knows why. So that with the company seemingly refusing to publish what titles are in the program just about a quarter Into the year. For me it adds up to it being eliminated. I only have paid for this program since it began for two reasons. The 20% off (is nice, but not the only retailer that does it), and most of all the 500 points($10) put into the rewards my account. I would use those $10 to help pay for the next game that would be in the program which then would help buy the next game. And so on for the last few years. The giving back aspect of the program is what set Best Buy aside and above all other retailers. If this program is eliminated, I will not renew or in fact I may have to get a partial refund for the time remaining on my membership. It really is a shame that Best Buy has consistently been changing since their main competition (circuit city) went under.

I doubt you will ever get a partial refund...  if you do i would be shocked.  Like i will create an internet meme to celebrate your greatness kind of impressed...  I have never heard of anyone getting a refund on that unless it was in the first couple of days and they hadn't activated it yet.  I don't know if the program has been eliminated, but it seems like the titles offered have really dried up.  And i agree... the $10 back program made Best Buy the go to place for gamers if they bought more than a couple games a year... as a father who buys a lot for my son (I buy two copies of all the shooters since i play with him) it was nice...  even if i only got $10 back on one of them.  But as that program fades, so too does my willingness to buy games release day... i can wait most the time... I'm still waiting to get Uncharted 4, a game that was in my basket...  but then i remember that i had to finish #3 (and i wanted to replay $1 and #2...).  So now i can get it for like $20...  less if i buy it used.  I don't have any interest in online multi player for it... so no need to own on day 1.

i'm going to renew it this year, I got it on november 2015. and even that GCU no longer works on black friday or that they will not continue with the $10, for me is the best option because I always have the 20% discount on every new game.

Also is the only place for me that I can gain 2.5 points per dollar (i'm an elite plus member) with games and still gains points for buying gaming consoles.

Last year I made 9000 pts with my account and as today I'm doing it 3250 points.

for $30 per 2 years its the best option.

I am definitely glad it's only $30 now. It used to be $120 only a few years ago. Thankfully I got it free with the purchase of my PS4 and then I got it when it dropped to $30 for another 2 years. I'm set until the end of 2018. But if Best Buy keeps dropping the benefits I may not renew next year.
Highlighted

luchocarias wrote:

i'm going to renew it this year, I got it on november 2015. and even that GCU no longer works on black friday or that they will not continue with the $10, for me is the best option because I always have the 20% discount on every new game.

Also is the only place for me that I can gain 2.5 points per dollar (i'm an elite plus member) with games and still gains points for buying gaming consoles.

Last year I made 9000 pts with my account and as today I'm doing it 3250 points.

for $30 per 2 years its the best option.

If you are elite plus that means you spent $3500 a year at best buy.  If that's the case you clearly don't need to worry about a few $10 rewards for pre-order.

Am I crazy because I was pretty sure I saw a $10 reward listed for Horizon when I preordered it?

To my here recollection, there hasn't been a game listed since Final Fantasy XV.