Add Product

Search Results:

Re: Gamers Club Unlocked being discontinued

"Q) Will customer's with existing memberships be able to renew?

A. Existing memberships may not be renewed once expired. "

This makes it sound like you can still renew as long as you don't let your membership expire. Is that not the case?

Gamers Club prices not showing in app or on site

I have an active Gamers Club membership. I read the program was discontinued but current members would still be in the program until it expires. I’ve tried online as well as the app and the discount doesn’t show up or apply at checkout.
Valued Member

Doesn't look like you can renew period.

"This makes it sound like you can still renew as long as you don't let your membership expire. Is that not the case?"

No, it's just poorly drafted.

If someone had the ability to put this together (I'm quite ill), this might be the most effective way to communicate to Best Buy just how poor a business decision we feel this is.  I'm guessing in another thread.

Pull together the most recent statistics to support the following, because I haven't seen them since the last time I represented a video game publisher more than a decade ago, present the facts and articulate the ultimate result in a more polished manner than I'm presently capable of.

1 - The average American household purchases X amount in dollars of video games each year, compared to the smaller figures Y  and Z for movies and music respectively (apologies for being US-centric, but does Best Buy have locations elsewhere?  I've also never seen these numbers for other countries).  This is a market Best Buy wants to penetrate deeper into, not back away from.

2 - The average gamer is such-and-such years old (used to be this kept getting older, I think broke into the 30s back in the mid 2000s).

3 - The average adult gamer is well-educated with a average household income of X dollars (forget whether the statistics used to track average mean or median, but point is gamers tend to lean towards the white collar side, meaning more likely to purchase other items from their store of choice and the more expensive ones, too).

4 - Average gamer tends to be tech-savvy and makes more frequent purchases of big ticket items (probably won't find anything to explicitly support that, but it's also kind of implict).

5 - For the vast majority of products Best Buy sells, their identical at other stores.  Different stores have various promotions regarding the sale of video games, and this a major way of distinguishing Best Buy from some of its closest competitors such as Amazon or Walmart (Gamestop not so much becuase you can't buy a TV from Gamestop).  And this is where the argument comes in, which I think is true for at least many people here:  If there's no more GCU then there's really no tie to Best Buy.  A TV is the same at Amazon.  Gamers -- the crowd proven above to be a high-earning, high-spending crowd -- love their games much more than their diswashers, and taking away the one distinguishable feature and replacing it with nothing actually does mean that for this part of the marketplace (a signficant part -- perhaps another point above should be the number of Americans who play video games) really does result in loss of sales not just of video games but also probably more importantly of everything else Best Buy sells.  Yes folks will turn to Amazon for pre-orders, but why buy a new 4K tv from Best Buy if you're no longer going to Best Buy.com every day to check out the latest gaming news, but Amazon instead?  Same price on that same tv, same warranty, same delivery service, same everything from Amazon (I have the same model tv from Best Buy and Amazon in the same year -- it's quite literally the same everything right down to the delivery service used except he was wearing a different uniform).

Again, it would need to look polished and without my explanations.  Maybe in a separate thread, so everyone elese could chime in to say "yes I'll go elsewhere too including for my laptop" etc.

You're going to stop buying appliances and such from Best Buy because they ended GCU?  That's laughable.

"You're going to stop buying appliances and such from Best Buy because they ended GCU?  That's laughable."

It's what countless have said on this thread, not me.  I was stating the community's view.  If you're asking about me specifically, though, I stopped shopping at Best Buy in the late 1990s for everything, including appliances.  Aside from the occasional Disney-Franchise film in the last couple of years, that has remained true until recently.

I recently discovered GCU, signed up, started looking around the site, and the next (almost) 4 thousand I spent that would have otherwise have been spent at Amazon was spent at Best Buy instead for the same price.  That happened only because I started coming here for my gaming needs.  If I'm not coming here for my gaming needs, then, well, I think you follow.  I wouldn't "stop buying" as a punitive measure.  I don't boycott.  I simply wouldn't have a reason to come to the site anymore.  And I never go into the brick and mortar stores.  At least, not since the 90s.  So if there's no replacement for the program, it would be back to Amazon for me, unless I'm to go to Amazon for my gaming needs but then also come here after to look at things that are identical to their Amazon counterparts, and that just seems redundant.

@DeltaForce wrote:
I know people are frustrated, hell I am right there with you but the people on the forums are not the ones making the decisions for the company so cut them a little slack.

With that out of the way. I am an elite plus member, I have been one off and on depending on the particular year. I buy electronics such as TV's once I don't know maybe 5-6 years. That's enough most times to put me into elite plus. However I have consistently been elite or elite plus with the GCU. Other than that I have no reason to do business with best buy. Their handling of the program was superior to all other loyalty programs out so despite my issues with best buy as an organization I left Amazon and dealt with best buy for games which I purchase several during a year.

With the closure of this club, once my membership is done I will return to Amazon for all my gaming purchases. This is not a threat this is the truth.

Why do I bother to say this? Well because I feel this is a huge mis-step by BestBuy. Your CEO sat there and talked about how he's turning best buy around and the stocks prove it. Well this probably just undid all his hard work because several people go to best buy for the game club. Gamers spend tons of cash annually which will now go to other retailers as a result because there is no longer incentive to conduct business with best buy.

While I know you can not comment on the issue I would appreciate if you would pass my comment on to the powers that be. I created this account solely to comment on this. I know even then the guys with MBA's that are taught bad business in these schools by idealists are creating these bottom line CEO's which have been running businesses into the ground to only be hired again because of their degree and then proceed to run the next business into the ground.

Toys R Us is a good example of this and it should be looked at as a cautionary tale because Best Buy in all honestly does not have a lot going for it.

Please consider the responses here and encourage management to run the numbers on the revenue that ultimately will be lost by this decision which alienates a ton of customers.

If the club was costing the company money, I can understand that they don't think moving the price point was a good idea. Probably by a test group that does not know anything. Because you could most certainly raise the price and it would still be a good deal. Or if you were not confident in this, you could leave the $30 price tag intact and change the subscription to annual which leaves the price point in tact and promotes annual revenue streams.

I hope this will make it to the right place. I just don't want you guys to find this out the hard way is all because most times when then happens its too late to come back. I have no issue shopping somewhere else when my GCU expires I just felt I owed you guys a heads up.

I think we're just airing our grievance on an official platform. The people running the foums aren't the targets of the sentiment.

That's a well thought out statement.

I'm very disappointed in this. For my part, my membership is set to expire in Mar. 2020. Will I continue to get 20% off pre-orders until then? If so, I'm disappointed it won't continue, but I'll at least be happy that I can get my money's worth.

For what it's worth, I'll be shopping at Amazon and Gamestop after my membership expires, or for games that don't get 20% off, for whatever reason. 

"You're going to stop buying appliances and such from Best Buy because they ended GCU? That's laughable."

Nope, it's the truth. I only shopped at Best Buy because of GCU, I love the service and became a regular customer solely because of GCU. With them ending it I will not be going back.