Add Product

Search Results:

Re: GCU refund

GCU benefits will last until it expires. You're one of the lucky ones that renewed right before they stopped selling it.

Re: GCU is being discontinued?

I'm seriously disappointed in this move by Best Buy to cancel GCU. Once my current purchases clear I'll be cancelling my Credit Card with you as well as I'll be moving all future purchases not only for myself, but my family members who I do all the shopping for, to another retailer. 

I'm truly sad that I must do so because I really like the staff at my local Best Buy, and I really want to support the company they work for, but it is actions like this one that remind me that there are other places that I can shop that value and reward members for their loyalty. 

Such a shame...probably by Tuesday my purchases will be clear and I can give them a call to start this ball rolling. 

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

-TPLawrence

Terrible job canceling GCU

I made an account on here just to voice my frustration with this completely disappointing move. What a slap to the loyal members the program brought in over the years. I'm sure everyone, like myself enjoyed the benefits from the program so much I would purchase every other item I wanted from there just for the sake of convenience and realizing how nice it was to retain Elite status from these purchases.

That's all out the window. There is no point in shopping at gamestop. There are better alternatives for the electronics you offer in store. Now it isn't even worth stepping into your locations. To completely kill the program with no warning, announcement, plan to replace it with a different option is bad business. That's how you kill a company, you will soon realize how much money you will be losing from this. Nicely done BB. Not even an option to charge more for the program? Shorter benefit period? Would have gladly paid more.

What a way to turn off the younger generations.

Re: Terrible job canceling GCU

Excuse me. No point in shopping at Best Buy I meant. Will be taking our business to other video game retailers. Didn't learn anything from Toys R Us closing.

Re: No more gamers club. Going to gamestop

I urge you to not support GameStop's business model. I understand that saving a couple dollars is tempting, but when you buy a used game from GameStop, the developers of the game see none of that money.

Buying a *new* game is fine, but used games don't support the devs who make us the cool games in the first place.

Re: Gamers Club Unlocked being discontinued

Just came to join in saying that as a member of Unlocked since day 1 there will be no incentive for me to purchase anything from Best Buy once my membership expires. Like others this program made Best Buy the only place I purchased video games and once I was in the store I was willing and happy to purchase other items at potentially higher mark-ups. I hope that the feedback received is passed on and if it truly does disappear I will just have to move to Amazon. Thank you

Membership active until Jan. 23, 2020.  As of Jan. 24, 2020, I will no longer be a customer of Best Buy.  Amazon should buy Best Buy a drink - they may have just given me exactly the reason I needed to finally go to Prime permanently (vs. just for the money leading up to the XMas holidays...).

There's a lot of venom on these forums. If true that it's ending without a reasonable replacement program (and I've seen nothing to confirm this) then I agree it seems to me like a poor business move and I'm also quite disappointed. But there's something that saddens me much more than my potential loss of benefits once my membership expires.

I'm sure some employees at Best Buy corporate, or even elsewhere, are so directly connected to the GCU program that if it's ending without replacement, then their jobs are ending as well or else they'll need to find a new way to justify their paychecks. I can't be sure of this since I'm not sure of any overlapping duties they might have, but even in a best-case scenario it's a much more difficult and disappointing time for them than it is for us. And if people do actually lose their jobs over this, what's the loss of GCU membership compared to the loss -- hopefully temporary -- of income and employment benefits?

I'm all for voicing opinions about Best Buy's decision here. It's just that the venomous tone in many of these comments, rather than just stating our views and supporting them without the attacks and acid, really loses sight of what's truly important (and also harms our credibility as well).

I might have more fully fleshed out my views on the decision -- coming from decades of experience counseling the executives and boards of directors of companies that dwarf Best Buy's market cap (dwindling in comparison to its competitors and I don't think this will help) -- but I don't know if it's true, I don't know the details, and I felt after browsing this thread that what I said was more important to highlight. A 20% discount is nothing compared to a mortgage payment or a child's medical bill. I just hope all is well for all concerned at Best Buy. I'll think of myself after.

Your Viewpoint in some aspects aren extreme no one's comparing medical bills for children or a mortgage payment and telling people they have no Concept in a nice way still messed up people have a good idea what's going on now people shouldnt be venomous I agree

Perhaps I should have made more clear I wasn't speaking to the majority of comments, but instead to comments such as, and I'm quoting here, "Die a slow, painful, Circuit City-style death."

I mean, I have no words. Does that poster have any idea how much hardship a Best Buy bankruptcy would cause for all of its employees and the countless others who benefit from its business (not customers, but ancillary businesses like smaller suppliers and others)?

Again, I think everyone SHOULD voice their opinion. It's just that comments like that are not opinions as much as misdirected hatred and anger. You can see there's an opinion buried within there, but that's it. And over the loss of GCU benefits, which I will miss sorely as well but not enough to wish even 1 person out of a job. I rely on video games for my medical health (long story) so this is a crushing move for me from Best Buy. I'm in no way defending it.

But to attack people who are in no way responsible, aside from missing perhaps a bigger story (at leas to me), it also undermines the legitimacy and credibility of each and every other poster who has come here to state their opinion. If any of these views were to reach someone with actual authority at Best Buy, do you think they would be taken as seriously after they read a message like the one I quoted? My guess is they stop reading right there.

I think you and I are in absolute agreement, but just read different comments or interpreted them in different ways.